• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

I’d go through Georgia and up from there into TN. Longer but safer option imo
I’m coming to Greenville from Iowa and have done the drive many a time, and 40 is crucial! With it out , would you still go down into GA and maybe hit 75 to 85 to GSP???
It’s only about 3 weeks before I have to make the drive

I know along the coast, it is pretty routine to have mandatory evacuation orders in place for low-lying or flood prone areas. Were there any evacuation orders issued similarly for these mountain locations? The impacts of this event were pretty well forecasted, but based on the anticipated large death toll and survivor interviews, it does not seem like the general public really understood what was about to happen.

I’m coming to Greenville from Iowa and have done the drive many a time, and 40 is crucial! With it out , would you still go down into GA and maybe hit 75 to 85 to GSP???
It’s only about 3 weeks before I have to make the drive
I believe that’s going to be about your only option Mack. It’s a mess. We are virtually cut off from Tennessee

I know along the coast, it is pretty routine to have mandatory evacuation orders in place for low-lying or flood prone areas. Were there any evacuation orders issued similarly for these mountain locations? The impacts of this event were pretty well forecasted, but based on the anticipated large death toll and survivor interviews, it does not seem like the general public really understood what was about to happen.
They are in mountains and never once thought about floods so even if warned they probably didn’t care. Sad truth. And the ones that do survive will have to fight greedy insurance companies over the lack of flood insurance.

I wonder if people even pay attention to the news and weather like we do. It makes you wonder. I feel like I'm pretty knowledgeable abt what's going on but I have to seek it out. Maybe a lot of people aren't That way if it's not on YouTube or Twitter.

They are in mountains and never once thought about floods so even if warned they probably didn’t care. Sad truth. And the ones that do survive will have to fight greedy insurance companies over the lack of flood insurance.
That is correct most people think that flood is covered with homeowners and it's not

I can share an extremely isolated report from a friend whose mother lives in Black Mountain NC. Her mother lives far from a river because she only lost power (minimal flooding) there were few evacuations ordered and many ignored those orders.

We’re driving to St Louis area next wed the 9th. As it stands now its the WV route (77N to 64W).

Need a mouth piece due to the roads.
Teeth jarring. I went this route in May.

Or 77N to 81 to Knoxville then 75N to 64W. (My preferred route due to never gone that route and the beauty).

Second option is only 15 minutes longer.

That is correct most people think that flood is covered with homeowners and it's not

As An insurance agent this is the sad reality and going to make these losses even more disastrous. Most people don’t purchase flood insurance in this region (southeast in general) unless it’s required for their loan.

Last edited:
Back