• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

How are/did the pecans fare? I'd assume horribly?
Yes you’re correct. There will definitely be short supply of whole pecans in a couple months when they are typically at their peak. However most packaged pecans for the holiday season have already been packaged and will be in warehouses in the next couple weeks

Yes you’re correct. There will definitely be short supply of whole pecans in a couple months when they are typically at their peak. However most packaged pecans for the holiday season have already been packaged and will be in warehouses in the next couple weeks
Loss of life immediate concern no doubt and is horrific but the long term economic impact will just pour salt onto a severe wound. I don't think it's hyperbole to say it will be devastating for years to come. I love that part of the country, it's so sad.

Can any of you tell me anything about either of the two routes on the left? What kind of terrain am I looking at? Those are my two options to pigeon forge tomorrow.
929EB4E2-5B5B-41B0-87E3-DEFB1255DA00.jpeg

Can any of you tell me anything about either of the two routes on the left? What kind of terrain am I looking at? Those are my two options to pigeon forge tomorrow.
View attachment 152437
The highlighted route easily. The other two will be far slower. Both of the left routes traverse some very rough curvy terrain.

The highlighted route easily. The other two will be far slower. Both of the left routes traverse some very rough curvy terrain.
That route has closures I don’t know why it’s an option. Plus I’m not going anywhere through NC right now.

I think there were countless embedded micro/macro bursts. When I was over at my sister in laws that morning near the southern connector right beside the old Bonnie Brae golf club I can remember looking outside and the downdraft was cutting down through the alleyways between the homes carrying the rain with it. I’ve never been in a Hurricane before so I really didn’t know what was normal and what was not but that’s what I was seeing with my naked eye. Certainly lot of pressure downward out of the sky.
I agree with this totally. As you go around Lake keoewee and jocassee there's tones of "patches" where every single tree is snapped in half like a Tornado just touches down and lifts back up. Has to be microbursts within. On day 5 with no power and a Friday target date. Blue Ridge has gotten 50k back up and going so they've made a helluva dent in it. I'm fortunate enough to have a Generac on natural gas. So I ran extension cords to the neighbors just so they'd have something for the time being.

That route has closures I don’t know why it’s an option. Plus I’m not going anywhere through NC right now.
Then the far left one, but keep in mind that it is very slow through the chatahoochee national forest. The area from Murphy into TN is a little windy as well. The part through Tennessee is no issue.

Might be better off taking 64 all the way to 411 and from there on up. Less curves and chance of trees down.

Rail took a pounding as well only other route I know is 421 from Boone to Erwin TN . Stomach grinder on a sunny clear day. But id be shocked if its not destroyed with the watauga river runing right beside it down the mtn

Back