• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Absolutely. The flooding threat was very well forecasted by WPC days in advance. There’s some good discourse going on over on Twitter currently regarding how we can get more specific and impactful information out during flood warnings. Directly to phones, etc… Potential graphics showing likely areas to flood so that folks can understand the gravity of the situation. Not sure it would’ve helped much here specifically…

Just a perfect set up of horrible factors. The PRE event, the storms intensity, the size, the speed it moved inland causing the wind damage. It will be quite awhile before there is a more impactful hurricane IMO.

For me personally, I spent the first 12 hours or so after upset/confused about the Atlanta miss and wondering why that was so poorly forecasted. But once I saw images coming out of those areas that were affected, that quickly shifted to gratitude and being thankful that we were spared. Sobering to see the real images and stories coming out and puts things in perspective quickly.

My heart and prayers are with all who experienced damage and loss during this.

Yeah and I can't imagine most people in the mountains would even remotely think about flooding tbh... Especially on this scale. It's just not something that happens like it does on the coast

It kind of reminds me of 4/27 and Joplin... I mean at some point theres nothing you can do

Last edited:
running on limited sleep after a long weekend of cleanup and uncertainty. Now it’s back to work at 7am. Haven’t even gotten my paycheck from last week due to regional bank outages. I’m already exhausted thinking about this week. I might just kill over.
I pray that you have a good week and God gives you peace of mind.

i was out of town this weekend and out of the loop (as in not posting here) but i hope everybody is doing ok, especially our high country board members. some of the damage pictures (especially anything out of lake lure) are breaking my brain

Unconfirmed reports that the death toll around Asheville is in the hundreds. I pray this is misinformation but fearful it may be accurate 😕
Woh. What about all the counties around it? I never heard anything about their death tolls, which makes me concerned. If the count in Asheville is true, the final death toll may exceed 1,000 for this storm. Flooding is far more dangerous in hurricanes than wind it seems

Back