• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Not trying to light up NWS Peachtree city. I know they were handcuffed from the consistently west forecast. But this is such a brutal wind map compared to what happened. Parts of Southeast GA shaded in yellow got 80-90mph winds gusts

This was the final call map they essential put out on Friday afternoon for wind gusts

IMG_0392.png

Last edited:
Not trying to light up NWS Peachtree city. I know they were handcuffed from the consistently west forecast. But this is such a brutal wind map compared to what happened. Parts of Southeast GA shaded in yellow got 80-90mph winds gusts

View attachment 152282
I seriously doubt Southwest Georgia from Albany to the FL border got over 110 mph winds as this map suggests.

I seriously doubt Southwest Georgia from Albany to the FL border got over 110 mph winds as this map suggests.
Sorry I should’ve clarified. This was the forecast wind gust potential they put out Friday afternoon . I will edit my post now to avoid confusion. This was their final call essentially

I'm not bashing the NHC even though they dropped the ball. It was probably because if their models were somehow correct and a city the size of Atlanta took the brunt when they called for it to be east, there would have been hell to pay. It still sucks for us east. Posters saying that the ones east knew what was coming anyway is simply not true. Yes, we knew the east side is the worst and effects travel outside the cone and there would be wind and severe weather. But where the center goes is still very important. If their forecast was correct we would have gotten what the east side of Columbia up through the east side of Charlotte got. Which was a little wind and some power outages but for the most part life would have been back to normal today. That is far from the case now. That power outages map tell it all and that would have been 75-100 miles west had the NHC been correct.

Sorry I should’ve clarified. This was the forecast wind gust potential they put out Friday afternoon . I will edit my post now to avoid confusion. This was their final call essentially
but Friday afternoon was well after it made landfall right ? I think landfall was Thursday night

Hey guys.. we are dealing with a mass casualty event here in Erwin. 39 people missing. None accounted for. I'm sure there are many many more.

Police estimate the water topped 30ft beating the 1977 record by 6+ feet. I've had people calling me asking if I've heard from people.

I've never experienced anything like this.

The damage isn't even close to being fully realized yet. There are caskets flowing down the river. Reports of some rescuers finding bodies being found in trees 15feet up..

Wow just got a chance to read and catch up I am here whining about no power for two days now and these folks have lost everything if you guys have any local charities that I can donate to please post !
Praying for the best for the people there and also the front line workers who are doing everything possible to help

Back