• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Well I’m back on here after a long day. My power is still out but cell service has finally been restored to my area. Ended up with only 4.13” of rain… I say only after finally seeing some of the heartbreaking pictures to the west.
Sorry to hear that, power flickered a few time here and never lost cell service just a few miles east of you!

What a terrible weather event - simply put. Having lived in the mountains (Black Mountain, NC) and working in the mountains for 20+ years - I feel a lot of sorrow and a sense of helplessness. I have called as many folks as I could on Wed/Thu - to not only let them know there could be potential flooding but to extend well wishes and to be safe. Some of the pictures and videos are difficult to look at - these are my people - and the towns that I hung out in are severely damaged. This wont be fixed in a day or a week, maybe a month or 2 - and in some cases this is permanent damage. I know the state has all hands on deck and staging people to go in and help (Feds too) - and that makes me feel a little better - but it does not take away the complete sadness that I have for my mountain peoples.

I just can't fathom what has happened in the mountains of NC. I went to App and I used to have family in Hendersonville that I visited every year when I was a kid, so it hits a little close for me.

Seeing pictures of areas
I just can't fathom what has happened in the mountains of NC. I went to App and I used to have family in Hendersonville that I visited every year when I was a kid, so it hits a little close for me.
Hearing horrible heartbreaking stories from folks with loved ones up in Mitchell and Yancey Counties. Those areas are currently cut off from society with no cell service. Scrolling through Facebook posts some are saying the area is now unrecognizable. This is an area of the mountains I’ve vacationed to at least once a year, sometimes multiple times a year, since my childhood. I don’t personally have friends up there, but many acquaintances and they are some of the friendliest people you could ever meet.

Below is a picture of downtown Spruce Pine taken yesterday and posted on Facebook. Water all the way up to awnings. Unfortunately these areas will likely be lower priority than Asheville and some of the other larger towns.
53273869-E9CB-4E3A-87FF-6AB735ECA461.jpeg

Back