• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

lol no shot. The NHC wind graphics had Atlanta at a 90-100% chance to see sustained 1-minute tropical storm force winds of 39+ mph.

The airport GUSTED to 43mph only once.
That's great, I'm glad they didn't experience them. Now show me where in SC or NC didn't have appropriate warnings and watches ahead of time.

GOES16-TAW-Sandwich-900x540.gif

GOES16-TAW-EXTENT3-900x540.gif

Umm..no.

In this case..because of the extreme forward speed it made a huge difference which side of the eye you were on. But again getting some aspects of a storm wrong comes with the territory but ignoring good model agreement without even explaining why isn't cool imo. I would imagine if you asked folks in augusta and the western Carolinas if they got what they expected it wouldn't be yes.

And BTW this isn't a criticism of gsp...as usual they did a great job. They were put in a tough spot honestly with the nhc insisting the track would be near Atlanta and not the savannah river and they did the best they could stressing high impacts. Ffc could have done better..they too were in a tough spot but gsp had higher wind forecasts in their western counties than ffc did in their eastern counties.
You've made my point for me. FFC and GSP did a good job making predictions for their areas and giving people the opportunity to prepare.

Catawba River near Pleasant Gardens (Near Resistoflex)​

Last updated: Sep 27, 2024, 8:58 AM EDT

Current 16.24' - Record stands at 17.6' - this will be making a run for a new all time record.

2" short of the all time record - I believe its going to shatter the old record of 17.6'

1727448388076.png

I am not usually one to be negative to the forecasters but this time they blew it big time. They absolutely did NOT accurately predict the effects for millions of people and nearly two complete states. This was a huge huge fail. We were noticing the models and track the nhc flat out ignore it. Instead of TN it is in eastern NC. Same with the NWS. Millions of people were affected by this total fail in their local forecast.
I'm sorry but this post is just false in so many ways, its difficult to describe how wrong every sentence you just typed is.

Safe to say the forecast track is questionable and warrants discussion but can we hold off on the debate until this system is over for everyone or at least take it to banter please, thanks
Bump, please and thank you

Swannanoa River at Biltmore, NC - 03451000​

September 20, 2024 - September 27, 2024
Gage height, feet
22.08 ft - Sep 27, 2024 10:30:00 AM EDT < --- -almost 4' higher since last report. I have to believe that Biltmore Village and Biltmore Forest are under water at this time. New Record -
USGS - science for a changing world

Looks like it is forecast to crest at 27 feet. That is scary!

Swannanoa River at Biltmore, NC - 03451000​

September 20, 2024 - September 27, 2024
Gage height, feet
22.08 ft - Sep 27, 2024 10:30:00 AM EDT < --- -almost 4' higher since last report. I have to believe that Biltmore Village and Biltmore Forest are under water at this time. New Record -
USGS - science for a changing world

It looks forecast to go 5' higher still.

It looks forecast to go 5' higher still.

27ish' I suppose was the forecast. Not a good place to be - anywhere in the Swannanoa and French Broad river basin. In McDowell County the Catawba river is going to record flows - and the dam has been breeched (overflow) on Lake Lure (Rutherford County).

Back