• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

This is the heart of it. I don't even want to guess what the winds are gusting too because I'd probably be wrong. But they are strong. The smell of broken trees in the air is strong. Also no power. And will probably be without it for days
View attachment 152153
The jackpot we never wanted, grumpy. Finally settling down here. Wild ride. My neighbor back at the homestead said trees were down everywhere. One fell across the power pole. My mom said there are trees everywhere and one just missed their bedroom

Hey weather family
Been here in Pineville NC trying to run dialysis pts if power stays on can I get updated on the status of this storm? Any ideas of timeline for our area?
Thanks and all stay safe
It’s looking like the worst of the rain is out of Charlotte/ Pineville by 9:30 or 10 am. Wind gusts will probably persist through the afternoon, but should not be as severe as the day goes on. It’s looking like the tornado threat will likely stay off to our east, although Mecklenburg is still included in the new Tornado Watch. Most likely the western edge of that watch will get trimmed back.

The jackpot we never wanted, grumpy. Finally settling down here. Wild ride. My neighbor back at the homestead said trees were down everywhere. One fell across the power pole. My mom said there are trees everywhere and one just missed their bedroom
Yes sir it was bad. Every few seconds you could hear trees breaking. When it dies down enough I'm going to go offer my assistance trying to clear the roads. I'm betting they are mostly all blocked. Hugo is still the benchmark from Columbia to the coast. But I bet when people get out and see the damage Helene will be the benchmark for the Upstate now.

I'm safe at least as far as I know (will find out more soonish), just don't have power, and am thinking many probably don't around here.

Man, was that nasty. I slept through Michael, but I didn't sleep through this and the wind had to be roaring for a good couple hours+.
I'm glad your safe. My cousin in Augusta has a tree on his house. They're safe but his little kids were terrified. He said there are trees down all over his neighborhood.

I'll reserve some of the more choice words I want to use describing the NHC's mismanagement of this system once inland and just say they're a bunch of clowns. They did a real disservice to the citizens they serve who were in harms way.

SEPT. 27, 2024 - Swift water rescues underway in the Biltmore Village area of Asheville.

Swannanoa River at Biltmore, NC - 03451000​

September 20, 2024 - September 27, 2024
Gage height, feet
18.24 ft - Sep 27, 2024 08:45:00 AM EDT < --- possible a new record
USGS - science for a changing world

Back