• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

430 AM EDT FRI SEP 27 2024

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR PORTIONS OF...
BERKELEY COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...
CHARLESTON COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...
DORCHESTER COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 515 AM EDT.

* AT 430 AM EDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR SUMMERVILLE, MOVING NORTH AT 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
NORTH CHARLESTON, SUMMERVILLE, LADSON, RIDGEVILLE, JEDBURG,
KNIGHTSVILLE, SANGAREE, LINCOLNVILLE, NEW HOPE AND LOTTS
CROSSROADS.

THIS INCLUDES I-26 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 187 AND 203.

I don’t usually post. Just a long time reader. I am in Gibson, GA and it seems like this track shift to the east is putting me in the crosshairs for the worst winds. It’s consistently getting worse now. I’m a new dad so I got the family in the living room away from the east side of the house. A lot worse than I was expecting from the nws forecast.
Hang in there; it will pass quickly. Congrats on the new kid and keep it safe. You can tell it the story of the storm Helene some day.

Currently I've had a top gust so far of 38mph. Will be entering the northern eyewall within the hour...but as of now I'm still hopeful the worst of the winds will be east of here in the Carolinas/savannah river.

I wouldn't let my guard down up your way. If the storm tracks even a little NNW soon, the NE Ga. mountain counties are in for quite a blow.
I’m not quite yet but it’s obviously way east - it’s breezy but that’s about it. There was a flood emergency alert a few minutes ago and we have had a ton of rain. But all the dire wording with a completely wrong path is utterly insane with reality.

20242710636_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-07-1250x750.jpg

This doesn't do it justice. Go watch the loop. Let's just say it isn't headed for Alabama.

Well that clearly is not westbound.....

It's trying to climb North. The storm is starting to really get invovled with the ULL but man.. this is a big f up track wise. 4:30 AM and people with almost hurricane force winds happening right now when not called for
I do believe the forecast track never could figure out the influence of the front or ULL had on this sucker...hopefully a chance to learn and do better

It's trying to climb North. The storm is starting to really get invovled with the ULL but man.. this is a big f up track wise. 4:30 AM and people with almost hurricane force winds happening right now when not called for
The guidance was in front of the NHC with the globals for a couple days now. Why they chose to ignore it as part of the forecast is something that will have to be answered in the coming days.

Local met in Atlanta just showed an absurd graphic showing it moving nnw from right now in order to make it work with nhcs wrong track.

Oh. It did. We had days of notice.

The NHC ignored it.
I know weather forecasting isn’t an exact science, and of course it’s possible this thing could have gone west, but it’s almost reckless how the NHC refused to budge on track

On topic, power flickering here in Irmo SC. Wish I had set up my weather station before this; getting some pretty good gusts

At least the NHC made me test-run my little generator for the first time in twenty years. Now, I'm ready for my NWS winter storm warnings that turn out to be a few pingers on the deck.

I know weather forecasting isn’t an exact science, and of course it’s possible this thing could have gone west, but it’s almost reckless how the NHC refused to budge on track

On topic, power flickering here in Irmo SC. Wish I had set up my weather station before this; getting some pretty good gusts
Their forecasting ignorance was more than reckless. They need a real wake-up call as to how they affect real people's lives.

Back