• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

One big tell.is the lack of major structural debris as they drive around. If perry just took the eyewall of 140mph cane then they must have some stellar building codes. Not much tree debirs or building debris scattered around
Yeah I was watching some livestreams when it made landfall and all I could think was “y’all sure this is a cat4?” Obviously there are major issues with this storm but it just didn’t at all look like the typical stream from a land falling major hurricane

KVAX_loop.gif

Yeah I was watching some livestreams when it made landfall and all I could think was “y’all sure this is a cat4?” Obviously there are major issues with this storm but it just didn’t at all look like the typical stream from a land falling major hurricane
Yeah the highest sustained wind in Perry was 55mph with a gust near 100 according to TWC. Seemed strange to me.

To be fair I do wonder if some of that is because it hit the middle of nowhere and also Perry is a good 10 miles inland. It's not even on the beach

The fact they had a storm hit less than a year ago means that it would be like a storm hitting Mexico beach today, structures that were weak were impacted previously and have been rebuilt to high standards

To be fair I do wonder if some of that is because it hit the middle of nowhere and also Perry is a good 10 miles inland. It's not even on the beach
A cat 4 isn't gonna weaken that much in 10 miles. There's a better chance that even though we saw crazy flight level winds and low pressures the wind field just wasn't or didn't have time to.get to the surface.

Isabel in 2003 was a good case study on that. I had a pressure of 954mb saw a hurricane hunter fly through the eye as i sat in the calm southwest side of the eye and we only gusted to 51mph with a 954mb pressure

Back