• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Helene

Based on the last recon center fix and the radar am I wrong in thinking this had a hard east jog as it felt the land interaction?
I think that is very plausible that it had a brief tug as a result of that. Really going to be interesting over the next few hours to watch just how fast the turn occurs with its current size/forward speed...should start soon

I think that is very plausible that it had a brief tug as a result of that. Really going to be interesting over the next few hours to watch just how fast the turn occurs with its current size/forward speed...
Not wishcasting here because im in wilmington but the eastern track so far is more in line with gfs and icon. If this makes it into western SC or NC that changes the weather for Atlanta and RDU in big ways

SOUTHEAST_loop.gif

Crazy that the perry livestreaams are not showing cat 4 conditions or even high end cat 3

Flight level versus surface....you remember Isabel here right.....we had radar velocities of 120 right above us in the SW eyewall but at the surface we never got above 55...Helene also never really consolidated a core, she had a open eye pretty much the whole time....still there are places in the eye getting some pretty nasty stuff, certainly havent seen nothing even close to 125-140 though.

Based on NWS Doppler radar data, the eye of Helene has made landfall
as a Category 4 hurricane in the Florida Big Bend region at about
11:10 PM EDT (0310 UTC) just east of the mouth of the Aucilla
River. This is about 10 miles (15 km) west-southwest of Perry,
Florida. Based on data from Air Force reconnaissance aircraft, the
maximum sustained winds are estimated to be 140 mph (225 km/h) and
the minimum central pressure is 938 mb (27.70 inches).

Back