• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Another big burst of convection now. Man, she is really holding her own. Apparently, these "cooler, shallower" shelf waters aren't as degrading as some thought.

Guy who wanted me to chase with him is worried hes gonna lose his car to flooding already
Yeah. I mean Brett and I have chased several and he was in the Bahamas for Irma I believe. But a bunch of these folks have no clue what they are in for. And I can tell you when it really sets in and you get up above even, say, 70mph...at night...you start to feel mighty alone and it gets sketchy real quick.

She looks stationary to me at the 10 PM NHC coordinates about 70 miles E of Wilmington. She’d better get moving especially west overnight like all models have or she’s likely going to be well offshore once the expected steady SW motion starts by Fri night. Even the Euro has her within 10 miles of Wilmington at 8AM tomorrow before any SW motion starts.

She looks stationary to me at the 10 PM NHC coordinates about 70 miles E of Wilmington. She’d better get moving especially west overnight like all models have or she’s likely going to be well offshore once the steady SW motion starts by Fri night. Even the Euro has her within 10 miles of Wilmington at 8AM tomorrow before any SW motion starts.
She's still moving slightly, per radar currently about 48 miles sse of KMHX radar site and 62 miles east of ILM...

down to 90 mph, weird

...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS OCCURRING
ALONG THE NORTH CAROLINA COAST...
...THREAT OF FRESHWATER FLOODING WILL INCREASE OVER THE NEXT
SEVERAL DAYS...

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.0N 76.8W
ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM S OF MOREHEAD CITY NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 60 MI...95 KM ESE OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H