• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

I would say a Wilmington to Morehead city landfall, or darn near close, looks likely at this point for sure. Where does it go from there.....Moves SW off shore, or on the coastline?

I would say a Wilmington to Morehead city landfall, or darn near close, looks likely at this point for sure. Where does it go from there.....Moves SW off shore, or on the coastline?

It’s tough to know since models vary wildly from the GFS to the Euro which is the farthest south with the wsw to sw bend. My money would be on this staying near the NC/SC line like the GFS shows but who knows with Florence. The rainfall implications will be HUGE for whoever ends up on the intense banding in the N side of the storm.

The eye is trying to close off on radar. Deep convection attempting to wrap around per satellite. This will likely be a cat 2 at landfall but due to the large wind field the major surge and power outages well inland will be bad. Freshwater flooding from 10-30” of rain will be devastating too. Btw radar confirms she’s on more of a wnw heading now exactly as modeled.
E147FB93-87D8-4237-809F-2CDC9365E28B.png

Updated WPC rainfall, looks like the heaviest band will setup somewhere between the US 64 & I-20 corridors with US HWY 74 & the NC/SC border seeming to be a good middle ground of scenarios atm. Areas that get stuck in this band could easily get over a foot (or more) of rain.

wpc_acc_precip_northcarolina_168 (1).png

Recon is heading for the center, let’s see what they find. My guess is max winds are probably about 100mph at the surface, pressure 952 with a broad wind field instead of concentrated around the eye like you normally see.

its got major characteristics... large wind field and storm surge.. technically no it's not a major.

Why does the title still say Major Hurricane Florence ? A Cat 2 isnt major is it ?
She was a major hurricane, so typically the thread will keep the name so that some don't think it's just a TS and was never a hurricane. It can be changed down but it'll get changed back later. I don't see a reason to change it though since she is borderline at the moment.

Recon found extrap pressure of 954 so she’s maintained or slightly strengthened overnight. So far winds are low but over a huge area. Highest flight level wind is 80kts.

With it being a cat 1 could it regain cat 2 or 3 status as it passes over the Gulf Stream?

According to Alan Huffman, Fran had a pressure of 954 MB when it made landfall near Wilmington.

Did I miss something last night? Did the Euro have her moving up the NC coastline and on north?

Back