• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Heading SW at hour 72......just offshore near CHS at 980mb...would still be a hurricane for sure.

After hitting CHS hours 72-78 turns more westward. Should stay N of SAV.
I would say this run is pretty close to last nights so far...a bit further West (inland) but really not that much. Either way, lines up pretty much on the southern part of track with NHC track. (actually a little south of there southern track)

0Z Euro qpf 16-24" Georgetown NE to NE of ILM and going 75 miles inland. Columbia, Fayetteville: 8-12"; Charlotte 8"; CHS: 6-8"; RDU/GSO 6"

Last edited:
Per current satellite loops, I don't think Flo is moving that much more westward. I think that's the old eye moving west but newer larger eye surrounding it moving NW imo.

0z Euro precip, obviously don't take this verbatim, models often underestimate tropical rainfall fyi but 12-15" possible inland whoever gets under the heaviest banding. I personally think the Euro is a smidge too far south and the heaviest rains will be closer to NC at the least but we'll see.
index (35).png

0Z EPS mean slightly south of operational again. I strongly suspect a south bias of EPS vs operational as I've been noticing this on most Florence runs for days. Otherwise, I'd be more concerned even way down here. I would be concerned in CHS for sure though. About half the members move SW offshore SC and other half on coast or in SC. Fwiw, the members cover SC and even most of GA with more than a handful of TS+s even coming west into S GA this weekend. For here, I don't know whether or not to ignore these southern members and assume they're due to southern bias or not. They're such outliers vs other models. Opinions welcomed.

Edit: After a closer look, it appears per these EPS members that the crucial benchmark is just N of 34N when they start moving SW. The ones then onshore largely stay there moving SW while those offshore largely stay offshore down to lower SC or GA

Last edited:
it better turn due W now if it wants to hit SC/NC line like they say. and does it look like the ridging to the N might have weakened???

giphy.gif

Back