• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Looking at the map, NHC doesnt expect it to get up to major status anymore. Wow just yesterday it was expected to get up to 155 mph, shear was definitely underestimated.
Same thing with winter storms here. 99% of the time they are not as big as modeled, even just a few days out.

:(
That’s unrealistic. The precip shield will expand north more than that. Not saying that Fayetteville wouldn’t get more than Raleigh, but that kind of gradient is unlikely, IMO.
Hmmmmm,,I remember you saying something like this during a coastal snowstorm not too long ago!???? :D
But really, with the forward speed increasing and the stall not as pronounced, that would increase wind damage a little?

:(
Hmmmmm,,I remember you saying something like this during a coastal snowstorm not too long ago!???? :D
But really, with the forward speed increasing and the stall not as pronounced, that would increase wind damage a little?
Haha

Yeah, it could, especially for areas farther inland.

couple of tidbits from the latest NHC update...

"reports from an Air Force Reserve

Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate the eyewall now wraps less than
50 percent of the way around the center."

"the initial intensity reduced to a probably generous 95 kt."

"While Florence has weakened below major hurricane intensity, the
wind field of the hurricane continues to grow in size. This
evolution will produce storm surges similar to that of a more
intense, but smaller, hurricane, and thus the storm surge values
seen in the previous advisory are still valid. The threat of
rainfall has also not diminished, and these impacts will cover a
large area regardless of exactly where the center of Florence moves."

Just shows how unpredictable some hurricanes can be, but otherwise still a major problem for the Carolinas.

ICON quite a bit west than 18z. Pounding RC and SD.

Lol Cat2 now still with plenty of time to fall apart even more. Yes yes I know, flooding will be the biggest threat I get it but come on it will be a miracle if this thing can hit as a Cat 1 at this point. I’m watching the news now and it’s pretty clear they wrote all of their catastrophic one liners before Florence decided to fall apart

Icon is west of its previous runs but still north of most everything

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ICON definitely brings many more in NC into play with wind and flood potential..... still crazy model madness this close to landfall

ICON now has Florence moving into South Carolina as a weak tropical storm at 63 hours.

The storm looks like trash. It will be lucky to hit as a TS. Dry air from the SW has absolutely wrecked it. I think it was undergoing an EWRC when that started and it just went downhill from there. Couple that with the shear she is currently fighting and it’s lights out for major cane Florence.

Hopefully we can get this thing down to a wet TD that gives us some ample rain and moves on.

If Flo is weakening that's a very good thing in my book. Yesterday she was expected to be a cat 5 so anything below that is a blessing from God. I think about the 200 people on that NC island that stayed at there home, and that there lives are in danger along the coast line, with a drop in strength or more could very well spare them more now than before

Back