• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Meanwhile, I wonder if RAH is ever going to update their afternoon AFD?

Charlotte Mecklenburg County Schools closed Thursday and Friday....???o_Oo_O Ok, this hype machine is going a bit crazy.

And by 45, straight SW down the coast she goes. Never comes ashore like 12z.

And we're back to the SW movement over water.... oy vey
It's astonishing that the steering collapses exactly at the coastline and turns SW exactly mirroring the shape of the coastline. I know there's some business about coastal friction, etc. But still. Pretty remarkable if it rides the surf all the way down to Charleston.

Maybe we should back off the weakening talk for at least 18-24 more hours. Lest we forget Hugo was a cat 2 that exploded to a Cat 4 just before landfall. Yes, I know it was a completely different environment but I'd just use caution. Hugo was 934 with 140 at landfall.

If Flo weakens faster than projected, what are the implications, if any, regarding future track? Does anyone have a feel for whether or not the steering would change much over the next few days vs model projections? Is projected steering similar at various levels?

down to 120

...FLORENCE MOVING STEADILY TOWARD THE CAROLINA COASTAL AREAS...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE AND RAINFALL EXPECTED...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.9N 72.5W
ABOUT 385 MI...615 KM SE OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 420 MI...675 KM ESE OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 315 DEGREES AT 16 MPH...26 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...949 MB...28.03 INCHES

Maybe we should back off the weakening talk for at least 18-24 more hours. Lest we forget Hugo was a cat 2 that exploded to a Cat 4 just before landfall. Yes, I know it was a completely different environment but I'd just use caution. Hugo was 934 with 140 at landfall.

Make the bet then....lol. I'm not.

Writing on the wall seems to be for this thing not to be the powerhouse once thought. I could be wrong but the official forecast is even for this to just lose more strength the closer it gets to the coast. If it can't get its act together now, how much more will it have a problem when it just stalls out interacting with land, in shallow water?

If Flo weakens faster than projected, what are the implications, if any, regarding future track? Does anyone have a feel for whether or not the steering would change much over the next few days vs model projections? Is projected steering similar at various levels?
Larry, no expert, but weaker probably would give steering currents more influence rather than the high overhead (if that makes sense) and current steering current generally look like this ...

wg8dlm5-1.GIF

which might implicate your location more so ...

Make the bet then....lol. I'm not.

Writing on the wall seems to be for this thing not to be the powerhouse once thought. I could be wrong but the official forecast is even for this to just lose more strength the closer it gets to the coast. If it can't get its act together now, how much more will it have a problem when it just stalls out interacting with land, in shallow water?
I mean...I'm just saying use caution. As far as "getting its act together" it is a large Cat 3 hurricane now. That's a pretty good act. It has had trouble with dry air and some shear coupled with its speed that havent allowed it to "explode". However, outflow is outstanding right now and she's nearing the gulf stream. Just dont be surprised is all I'm saying.

Back