• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

How do things look for it getting stronger?

the wind field has really sprawled out which makes it harder to strengthen but it always widens the wind potential

We've seen this before... they turn into larger weaker storms, but the surge and wind is usually over a wider area

But if she tightens up it becomes more likely she can go through another strengthening phase

How do things look for it getting stronger?
Not too sure. I think that she might have quit the path to another ERC for now since the microwave imagery seems to show an increase in strength around the existing eyewall and the outer area might just be heavier convection circling the storm. Plus, the eye is starting to shrink fast. With that being said, she might be posed to take off, unless something happens to start another ERC.

Someone is sure leading the way...

00z euro tonight will be north, then somehow it will still be leading the way just because it doesn't have a poleward bias.

My thoughts exactly.

That would be worse for us in the Triangle, right?

Not too sure. I think that she might have quit the path to another ERC for now since the microwave imagery seems to show an increase in strength around the existing eyewall and the outer area might just be heavier convection circling the storm. Plus, the eye is starting to shrink fast. With that being said, she might be posed to take off, unless something happens to start another ERC.

If if if the eyewall can finally get settled and dry air doesn't get it, it could explode. The outflow is as good as it gets.

That said I doubt it happens due to dry air and large wind maxima.

41610898_2288673124685383_601183842484617216_n.jpg

If if if the eyewall can finally get settled and dry air doesn't get it, it could explode. The outflow is as good as it gets.

That said I doubt it happens due to dry air and large wind maxima.

yeah I'm tending to lean against major strengthening tbh

The window is pretty much through tonight though if it does happen

Euro with a slightly weaker SE Canada ridge and SE ridge. Thinks this goes a little further north and a little further inland west, does track w-s-w but not the crazy tracks the Euro was showing previous couple of runs.

EuroGif2.gif

Don't know if I'm preparing for 8 inches or possibly 20 inches is really frustrating this close to landfall.

The satellite map appears to show the eye shrinking even further, though there is a slight gap in between the two portions now. If it fill sin like it just did with the other shrinkage, the eye will be much tighter.

From the NHC...

There is still a narrow window of opportunity for Florence to
strengthen a little when the cyclone moves over the warmest SSTs and
highest upper-ocean heat content while the shear will be the lowest
between 0600-1200 UTC tomorrow morning. After that, decreasing ocean
heat content along with the slowing forward speed of Florence should
cause at least some cold upwelling beneath the hurricane, which
should induce a gradual weakening trend. Once Florence reaches the
shallow coastal shelf waters in 72 h, land interaction and more
significant upwelling are expected, further enhancing the weakening
process
. The NHC intensity forecast remains near the higher
statistical guidance through 48 hours, then follows the trend of the
decay SHIPS model after that time.

While Florence's maximum winds are expected to weaken a little, it
is still expected to remain a dangerous major hurricane as it
approaches the coast. The threat to life from storm surge and
rainfall will not diminish, and these impacts will cover a large
area regardless of exactly where the center of Florence moves

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 12/1500Z 29.8N 71.3W 115 KT 130 MPH
12H 13/0000Z 31.1N 73.1W 120 KT 140 MPH
24H 13/1200Z 32.6N 75.1W 125 KT 145 MPH
36H 14/0000Z 33.5N 76.5W 120 KT 140 MPH
48H 14/1200Z 33.8N 77.4W 105 KT 120 MPH...NEAR THE COAST
72H 15/1200Z 33.6N 78.4W 85 KT 100 MPH...NEAR THE COAST

96H 16/1200Z 33.6N 80.4W 45 KT 50 MPH...INLAND
120H 17/1200Z 34.7N 82.8W 25 KT 30 MPH...INLAND

That's pretty weak as it hits the coast, barely at cat 3. Wind doesn't seem like it's a severe issue, probably more of a flooding issue storm.

Back