• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Crazy how it gets right to NC and then goes SW. I have seen canes miss NC by curving and going NE, but don't think I have ever seen this setup here in my lifetime.
I don't think you're going to see it this time either.

Just 48 hours ago models had this thing crawling through central NC with historic flooding now we are in central to southern SC . It’s amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've seen it plenty of times with winter storms, but I don't think I have ever seen a hurricane track change so much in such a short amount of time.

Where do you think she will go?
I've been saying that she will make landfall on the SE NC coast and move inland from there. It may end up going southwest some into central SC, but I think that's as far as it goes. I don't think it will stall just offshore and follow the shoreline exactly all the way to Charleston or the GA/SC line. I think that it will make it inland somewhere around Wilmington and move either west or wsw through upper SC or along the SC/NC border and then turn NW through western NC. I may be proven wrong, but that is what I think will happen. I actually like something like the 12z ICON.

Maybe, just maybe today's 0Z Euro will turn out to be the furthest south of any model's run past and to come. Irma notwithstanding, model trends tend to be northward more than southward per my recollection of SE US threats following these for many years. Perhaps the models first needed to digest a stronger Midwest high than earlier thought, thus inducing some new SW motion in the forecast track after the slowdown. However, now that that stronger high has been digested, maybe the trend will resume the typical northward trend as perhaps that high starts to give in a bit more. We'll see. Nobody knows, which is what makes this hobby so interesting. If these were predictable, it would be boring to follow the models. But that's my best guess now, especially since that 0Z Euro was a south outlier for any operational.

The FV3 rainfall maps show a clear NW trend the last three runs
0z
fv3p_apcpn_eus_27.png

6z
fv3p_apcpn_eus_26.png

12z
fv3p_apcpn_eus_25.png

I've been saying that she will make landfall on the SE NC coast and move inland from there. It may end up going southwest some into central SC, but I think that's as far as it goes. I don't think it will stall just offshore and follow the shoreline exactly all the way to Charleston or the GA/SC line. I think that it will make it inland somewhere around Wilmington and move either west or wsw through upper SC or along the SC/NC border and then turn NW through western NC. I may be proven wrong, but that is what I think will happen. I actually like something like the 12z ICON.

Seems to be a solid consensus around Wilmington and Myrtle Beach

View attachment 6272

Looks like that track could be right.

I’m not buying any individual model but what I am buying is the stall and crawl idea. Florence probably stalls east of Wilmington and eventually crawls WSW into northern SC as she weakens

One thing for sure, it better start turning more wnw soon if it wants to follow the NHC track.... it's gaining latitude and still cruising today

Back