• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

LOL....Man I don't mean to goof but this King Euro is just as big a mess as anything else out there. I have very little experience reading these things but that system in the gulf has to be screwing everything up. The NHC has a nightmare on its hands for sure because the last run of the Euro just don't make sense

Does the intensity of Florence matter as it relates to the track, as she runs into the blocking ridge? The models have trended weaker with the storm. But assuming it strengthens beyond what they are indicating, could that matter as to where/if the stall occurs?
Nope it's all bc of 95L!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So we have good agreement now for a stall somewhere off the NC coast around Wilmington, question is where Florence goes after that? In weak steering current setups models can become very chaotic and that's what we are seeing now as models try to resolve the ridge position, strength, etc. What a nightmare to forecast.

Euro basically same track of it's 0z just further south (after initially being a little more north and east)
For comparison, last night's track
0e3460a4e417185b6a3cece2f45c7874.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here's the 12z GEFS tracks, didn't see them posted on here. Looking forward to the EPS members, hopefully they will clear things up for us because right now models are chaotic after the stall.
06L_gefs_latest.png

Well, Wake County Schools are closing early Thursday and will be closed Friday, so we'll probably get some showers and a slight breeze here.

Surprise, surprise a subtropical high is trending stronger on the guidance as we begin to close in on verification. Phil & Larry aren't out of the woods.

Holy cow - about 3 hours ago the governor of South Carolina cancelled the evacuation order for the three counties at the southernmost tip of the state - what if he has to turn around now and say "Nevermind"!

I think this thing is going to be much weaker at landfall due to land interaction as it scrapes along the coast and dryer continental air being ingested. Cat 2 at worst. Much better, from a wind damage perspective, than it plodding along a direct course into the mainland. Flooding will still be an issue.

I think this thing is going to be much weaker at landfall due to land interaction as it scrapes along the coast and dryer continental air being ingested. Cat 2 at worst. Much better, from a wind damage perspective, than it plodding along a direct course into the mainland. Flooding will still be an issue.

Not necessarily. If you have a Cat 3-4 with a 40 mile wide eye stall off the coast, you are in effect putting the eyewall on the shore. So the coast will not only get the full brunt of the wind, as already mentioned you have a prolonged surge as well. Sure, it will weaken, but much slower than if it made landfall.

Now it would reduce wind damage inland, but a track with the strength the Euro has would create unimaginable damage on the coast and just inland.

It'll be interesting to see where the EPS goes. Obviously there is a good chance this slows or stops along the coast but a SSW drift along the SE coast from NC to Ga...hard to buy

Agree! Trends are one thing but dancing around going from a run through central NC to a run through South Carolina to an about face dipsy doo down the coastline into Georgia in the matter of a couple runs just doesn't make sense even to a dingbat like myself. Maybe its right, who knows but at some point "meteorology" has to step in over "modelology"....Just my 2 cents

Back