• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Karen

From what I can tell the slower it moves. Greater the chance a cold front pushes it OTS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are more like MCVs tho, with strong convection that causes stronger gusts (55kt wind at FL found), looks like some of the MCVs we’ve had this past spring/summer

Ugly but it’s trying, one center NW of that big blowup, and another one inside of that deep Convection, note it’s very exposed so it has a lot of work left to do to even become a cane View attachment 23979
Yeah here's the loop to show how crazy the center is at the moment. Note the multiple vorticies, but they look to be merging
codnexlab.NEXRAD.JUA.N0Q.20190924.1842.096ani.gif

I don’t think the Bahamas are favorable for intensification or development for the rest of the season after seeing the euro. If you want a major you need to be near Cuba/western Carib, the gulf or way out in the Atlantic.

I wouldn't eat crow yet. That's 9 days out.....this thing will change many many times till then.

I meant on my prediction early in the 12Z Euro run that it would later hit FL in the run. It now looks like it won't.

12Z Euro: SW shear rose to high levels last few frames. Still hardly moving. Moved only 100 miles 48 hours 162-210 or average of only 2 mph!

Still long ways out, but Euro may be caving towards gfs.

Euro's moving slowly but at 500 mb, unfortunately its different compared to the GFS having a fall front try to rush in because of course it is.

actually at 216, the door seems open for whatever Karen is to exit without anything happening now.

Not a tropical expert...not even a novice, but realistically, what would it take to get this sucker in the gulf & target for a panhandle (Pensacola to Panama City) landfall?

Not hoping for a dangerous storm, just some drought relief for GA & AL

12Z Euro hardly moved 162-192! That means she may never reach FL and/or may turn. Will I have to eat crow?
I think Lorenzo that run caused Karen to act a bit strangely that got close enough given the size of the major. And if true, all bets are off and models will do poorly until we know how they interact if they even do.

BD8CE894-AAC4-4F70-AAEF-5D4CCC88E733.jpegHere Karen goes south and Lorenzo goes north. I think some goofy interaction occurred which won’t be nailed down for days.

12Z Euro 228-140: turned NNW.

Another amazing run with lots of drama but in this case because nobody expected it to slow down suddenly 400 miles offshore S FL!

Last edited:
The 240 look at 500 would be an exit stage right in future frames I'm pretty sure if that's how it looks at the time with the ridging, but if there's some silly interaction possible with Lorenzo, we'll have to wait for a while to see about that possibility.

The real shame is that the Euro still has ridging and the GFS doesn't. That sucks for temperature purposes.

Last edited:
Also found it interesting EURO showed Lorenzo absorbing and causing remains of Jerry to sling south-east due to the sheer size of the major hurricane before the interaction with Karen. A lot of doors are open for poss. tracks.

12z EPS preliminary of TC's hitting CONUS with SLP of 1003 mb or lower: still a threat with 7 total hitting members out of 51 or 14% vs 16%/8 of the 0Z (I don't see any member stalling as a TC just off FL like on the operational)

1. 10/1 FL Keys weak TD?
2. 10/1 Just N of WPB TS?
3. 10/3 Just N of WPB TS?
4. 10/3 St. Aug. H
5. 10/4 SE tip FL H
6. 10/4 Cape Canaveral TS?
7. 10/7 FL Keys/far S tip H

Last edited:
12z EPS preliminary of TC's hitting CONUS with SLP of 1003 mb or lower: still a threat with 7 total hitting members out of 51 or 14% vs 16%/8 of the 0Z (I don't see any member stalling as a TC just off FL like on the operational)

1. 10/1 FL Keys weak TD?
2. 10/1 Just N of WPB TS?
3. 10/3 Just N of WPB TS?
4. 10/3 St. Aug. H
5. 10/4 SE tip FL H
6. 10/4 Cape Canaveral TS?
7. 10/7 FL Keys/far S tip H
1569354872973.png

Back