• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

885275d88d1a9fa25b292e5693d70732.jpg

This is close right here. Move that low about 200-300 miles north and put that high over Michigan and you have a winter storm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

885275d88d1a9fa25b292e5693d70732.jpg

This is close right here. Move that low about 200-300 miles north and put that high over Michigan and you have a winter storm

Not just any storm… January 2000. Note the colors pallet is skewed on the lower side (I had trouble with the anomaly algorithm when I made this)
17A6950E-84F5-4C51-AC7D-E924EDB676B4.png
7DAFA11C-6B0C-42D0-9599-0D6F63BA26FE.png
I doubt it would happen though.

Brings me snow? I like this set up! But for real though this works out more when our first system blows up off into the NE almost backs up the whole flow and brings the cold air down
That type of setup would probably be very marginal unless we have more cold wrap into the system via N/S

Not just any storm… January 2000. Note the colors pallet is skewed on the lower side (I had trouble with the anomaly algorithm when I made this)
View attachment 102889
View attachment 102892
I doubt it would happen though.
A few days before Jan 2000 there was a burp or 2 from models for a possible novelty flake. All we had was tv mets back then.But it
completely vanished and from TV mets 3-5 day forecast as time drew nearer. Then that Monday I remember hearing early morning tv mets saying the models missed this northern stream diving energy by a 1000 miles. Ed Mathews. But dont sweat may get a few flakes latter in day. MiddaY snow starts breaking out Georgia up to Charlotte. By 4 to 5 pm Fishell is on air wral saying Raleigh is gonna see its biggest snow ever. Its snowing in eastern triad and local mets had us 1-3 on 6pm news. Heaviest would be down to Raleigh. Then the occlusion and pivot happens late that night. Woke up at sunrise Tuesday and 15 -18 inches was laying on the ground Randolph,eastern Guilford Alamance. Spent 7 long,cold days in the dark no power. We had a 2 tenths inch ice event that weekend preceeding and it was still on limbs. Caught every wet flake. As we where in the dark that Thursday another 5 incher came along.

For us in the west we need to get through this week . 19th-25th is our window for true board wide storm. Areas to the east can score with this weekends setup . But the hood pattern takes shape after that system

A few days before Jan 2000 there was a burp or 2 from models for a possible novelty flake. All we had was tv mets back then.But it
completely vanished and from TV mets 3-5 day forecast as time drew nearer. Then that Monday I remember hearing early morning tv mets saying the models missed this northern stream diving energy by a 1000 miles. Ed Mathews. But dont sweat may get a few flakes latter in day. MiddaY snow starts breaking out Georgia up to Charlotte. By 4 to 5 pm Fishell is on air wral saying Raleigh is gonna see its biggest snow ever. Its snowing in eastern triad and local mets had us 1-3 on 6pm news. Heaviest would be down to Raleigh. Then the occlusion and pivot happens late that night. Woke up at sunrise Tuesday and 15 -18 inches was laying on the ground Randolph,eastern Guilford Alamance. Spent 7 long,cold days in the dark no power. We had a 2 tenths inch ice event that weekend preceeding and it was still on limbs. Caught every wet flake. As we where in the dark that Thursday another 5 incher came along.
That would be a dream to experience. Unfortunately it’s 22 years later.

Looks like the difference between the GEFS/EPS is that the EPS is faster with the energy so it enters a colder airmass initially and interacts with the lower heights off the coast quicker/colder stuff to the NE so the NS energy can wrap that in more, while the GEFS is slower so it ridges out ahead a little which means it’s harder for it to feel the CAA from the system in the Atlantic, and it allows a better chance for the system to move more north/cut into a apps rubber, all this probably shows why the EPS was decent last night, need quicker energy, gefs looks better this run however then the last few 37B21134-817C-4941-BB4B-D87C9EFA4302.jpeg93A54D33-7F9C-4D9C-8439-4962A4DE3A98.jpeg

That would be a dream to experience. Unfortunately it’s 22 years later.
Yeah, I think that now with all the short range models that refresh every 1-2 hours now, mets would be able to quickly react to and adjust forecasts a lot more quickly than as the 2000 storm unfolded. Even with that storm, I can remember Eric Thomas adding light snow to his Monday forecast for CLT metro on the Sunday 6pm newscast, then on the 11pm newscast he said that he thought that east of I-77 could see up to an inch of accumulation… there was already several inches on the ground from the storm that had just exited so he wasn’t concerned about a ton of additional impacts

Back