• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January Thread - The Final Chapter

Yeah guys. This clipper deal will likely have a bit more moisture to work with than seen.... some might be virga with the super dry air mind you. Back in AL, I can't say. I do not know the weather back there well enough to say.

I would like to see the trough further west and more interaction to see something substantial along (or even North in this case) of I-20 though.

Last edited:
The trough is more vertical and it doesn't have that tilt as much like the 18z GFS. Also, the difference is that the trough stays digging down and not becoming more flat like the 18z during the clipper...this is why the 0z has snow flurries further west in some areas than 18z. This is a better look, its so close on something sparking bigger.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

My sled is like my 401k. It ain't about the immediate returns. We are talking LONG term investment here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought my sled at that hardware store on the corner across from the old Varsity on CheshireBridge, probably in 70. They used to hang them on the outside wall whenever Guy Sharpe said it might snow, lol. It has brought me as much pleasure as most anything in my life, but only on the rare occasion. The conditions have to be right. It's a FlexiFlyer design and a long body. You can steer it with the handles, and your feet. Your legs are on the platform, with your shins and feet off the side if you need to steer, so it's easy to make sharp turns dragging your foot, because your torso, and most of your leg is supported. You can go places only the most intrepid go, because you have control. Down Amsterdam at 25 mph, or so, with cars on both sides whipping by at light speed, and your eyes streaming tears so you can't see a thing. You rattle and bounce, right at the edge of madness, and it exhilarates you to a manic state. Face first into the worm hole with your chin bouncing 6 inches off the ice. It's like grunge luge. It's big enough for two, and sturdy enough. Makes you go infinitely faster, but right at the edge of out of control. It has tiny steel runners, so snow is worthless. YOu just sink in and hit soil, unless there has been some zrain, or sleet too. But sleet is best....the next night, after the hard freeze has made it a sheet, and the cars trying to go up the hill haven't fazed it. Those runners are made for ice, and sleet makes it fly. And the city, or county roads are the track. We went down Amsterdam, in midtown, from the top, in view of the post office, all the way down past devils dive. It was in the late 70's, around 4 inches of sleet. I could drive at LeMans, leap off the Eiger in a wing suit, but I can't see how it could beat that night. That sled became legend, and icon for the oppressed sleet lovers in the deep south. It earned it's purchase price a thousand times over on that fabled night, and subsequent, though very sparse nights. Oh, people laughed, they asked "when will you use it? It's the south, it never snows". Snickering. But it's not snow the lonely rider wants...it's to once again hear the spattering in the leaves announcing, perhaps, another chance to soar with the polar bears, and enter sleet nirvana on wings of speed!!! A phantom on the midnight winds....the Sleet Dancer.

So....no, you aren't to be picked on, but to be revered for your foresight. To buy a sled when it's not fashionable, only to have those cute girls down the street want to ride on top of you, because you have the only tandem sled in town, lol. Trust me, owning a sled is genius...I salute you, fellow adventurer! And dang, that Sleet Dancer thing is dope :) I should have been that all along...hmm...maybe Dsaur Sleet Dancer..... :)

So now I know where tony' s love of sleet comes from. It's all about the sled !

It sounds like that's the case, but I think he still would love it otherwise. To him there seems to be something wonderfully magical and perfectly wintry about it. From it not at all being shy by announcing its presence via loud sounds to it bouncing when it hits to knowing it has staying power and will likely be around for awhile, to him sleet is the King of precip. I'm confident that would still be the case if he didn't have a sled.

The great ATL winter storm of 2/17-8/1979 was quite a turning point in my life. After seeing the beautiful flakes change to little pellets within an hour of the start, I became depressed. It was supposed to snow for a longer period. Also, I figured the sleet would hardly accumulate. Boy was I to be proven wrong.

As time went along and the sleet continued to fall the rest of the evening, it started accumulating noticeably. There was actually a white sleetcover! It kind of looked like snowcover. Also, I was starting to really enjoy the sounds of sleet. I was actually starting to take a liking to the sleet. Whereas I earlier was hoping for a change back to snow, I now was content and rooting for the sleet to continue. I was not the same person I was just a few hours earlier. I had trouble going to sleep during all of this excitement. I wanted to keep watching it accumulate and hear it hit the ground. Up to 1". Up to 1.5". Atlanta was being taken over by the sleet monster and it gave me butterflies. I finally went to sleep but then woke up to a peasant surprise: it was still sleeting and with much more of it potentially falling. Up to 2.5". 3". 3.5". And yes, a whopping 4" of beautiful sleet!!!! Moreover, the sleet had staying power unlike any snow I had ever seen. After this great experience, I never again rooted against sleet and became an official sleetlover though I was and still am also a snowlover.

Well, that's my sleet story and I'm sticking to it. I'm sure many folks have a good sleet story or two.

Last edited:
It sounds like that's the case, but I think he still would love it otherwise. To him there seems to be something wonderfully magical and perfectly wintry about it. From it not at all being shy by announcing its presence via loud sounds to it bouncing when it hits to knowing it has staying power and will likely be around for awhile, to him sleet is the King of precip. I'm confident that would still be the case if he didn't have a sled.

The great ATL winter storm of 2/17-8/1979 was quite a turning point in my life. After seeing the beautiful flakes change to little pellets within an hour of the start, I became depressed. It was supposed to snow for a longer period. Also, I figured the sleet would hardly accumulate. Boy was I to be proven wrong.

As time went along and the sleet continued to fall the rest of the evening, it started accumulating noticeably. There was actually a white sleetcover! It kind of looked like snowcover. Also, I was starting to really enjoy the sounds of sleet. I was actually starting to take a liking to the sleet. Whereas I earlier was hoping for a change back to snow, I now was content and rooting for the sleet to continue. I was not the same person I was just a few hours earlier. I had trouble going to sleep during all of this excitement. I wanted to keep watching it accumulate and hear it hit the ground. Up to 1". Up to 1.5". Atlanta was being taken over by the sleet monster and it gave me butterflies. I finally went to sleep but then woke up to a peasant surprise: it was still sleeting and with much more of it potentially falling. Up to 2.5". 3". 3.5". And yes, a whopping 4" of beautiful sleet!!!! Moreover, the sleet had staying power unlike any snow I had ever seen. After this great experience, I never again rooted against sleet and became an official sleetlover though I was and still am also a snowlover.

Well, that's my sleet story and I'm sticking to it. I'm sure many folks have a good sleet story or two.

Good stuff Larry. I choose not to air my dirty sleet story on here

Well 6Z looked a little better with the clipper energy, maybe we can get a few flakes, maybe someone may "jackpot" a dusting on the ground?

So what have I missed over the last 24 hours

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Winter cancel. Winter (marginally) back on, Tennessee smiles when the King favors and all of a sudden I am rooting for a massive southern sleet storm.

Meh, 06z GFS is about the same as 0z with the first disturbance. The 06z does have that second disturbance coming down at a different angle than 0z.

I'm going to be moving over to the Feburary thread today and come back to this thread periodically.

from hsv
This might help
set the stage for a period of wintry precipitation Sunday into
Sunday night, with yet another stronger disturbance diving southeast
through northwesterly flow into the Tennessee Valley.

sunday/sun night snow
us__00120snow.gif

Chasing clipper flurries! Shows how bad this winter has been and will continue to be! Look to torch or be atleast above normal for most of Feb. just not our year! Look for most to average +6 to + 8! Hard to believe this winter will end up +15 to +20 for DJF, for a few cities in the South! Backloaded and Frontloaded , with warmth!

Chasing clipper flurries! Shows how bad this winter has been and will continue to be! Look to torch or be atleast above normal for most of Feb. just not our year! Look for most to average +6 to + 8! Hard to believe this winter will end up +15 to +20 for DJF, for a few cities in the South! Backloaded and Frontloaded , with warmth!

If we were bn by the same amount folks would think we are in an ice age with snow on the ground for months.

Back