• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January Thread - The Final Chapter

18z GFS is a fluke!! This is the 18z NAVGEM...it has the clipper coming down even though it's on a track that I think is wrong. It should come down quicker in the NW flow moving towards the SE. The GFS still has the clipper but it has it coming down in early Feb.
8b567d018d786127dd56d7222a5ef29d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

18z GFS is a fluke!! This is the 18z NAVGEM...it has the clipper coming down even though it's on a track that I think is wrong. It should come down quicker in the NW flow moving towards the SE. The GFS still has the clipper but it has it coming down in early Feb.

The Navgem...I wouldn't put my trust in that model to save my life...Maybe I'll be wrong but still...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me what the teleconnections look like? Also does anyone have a link to their forecasting page?

Not questioning at all - just want to learn - are you saying inside the left side of the COD is colder than P8? If so, that is a very interesting tidbit to stash for future reference!

This is what happened. I had seen the charts showing temperature anomaly patterns for each MJO phase. When I had some time and since love analyzing wx stats, I decided that it would be interesting to see how ATL actually did for each phase in winter.

I knew the left phases tended to be cold and the right phases mild. But I wanted to know how cold and how mild. So, I started off just looking outside the circle by phase. I did just January to be more efficient.

As I was going along, I noticed a strong warm bias with these 600+ days. I noticed that phases 4 & 5 were quite warm as one would expect but what confused me was that the remaining phases were near normal with no phases averaging cold! That's when I figured out that inside the COD is where many of the cold days must be hiding.

Then I analyzed inside COD days and discovered that inside is, indeed, where most of the coldest days were! Also, I then learned that inside the circle is also within the 8 phases (think 8 pie slices). So, when you see a map showing a cold SE phase 8, for example, the cold average is largely being carried by inside the COD phase 8 though just outside there was also cold.

By the way, every phase came in colder when inside vs outside and even phases 4-5 inside the circle averaged near normal. The remaining 6 phases inside averaged colder than normal with inside 7 & 8 coldest.

This is what happened. I had seen the charts showing temperature anomaly patterns for each MJO phase. When I had some time and since love analyzing wx stats, I decided that it would be interesting to see how ATL actually did for each phase in winter.

I knew the left phases tended to be cold and the right phases mild. But I wanted to know how cold and how mild. So, I started off just looking outside the circle by phase.

As I was going along, I noticed a strong warm bias with these 600+ days. I noticed that phases 4 & 5 were quite warm as one would expect but what confused me was that the remaining phases were near normal with no phases averaging cold! That's when I figured out that inside the COD is where many of the cold days must be hiding.

Then I analyzed inside COD days and discovered that inside is, indeed, where most of the coldest days were! Also, I then learned that inside the circle is also within the 8 phases (think 8 pie slices). So, when you see a map showing a cold SE phase 8, for example, the cold average is largely being carried by inside the COD phase 8 though just outside there was also cold.

By the way, every phase came in colder when inside vs outside and even phases 4-5 inside the circle averaged near normal. The remaining 6 phases inside averaged colder than normal with inside 7 & 8 coldest.
Absolutely fascinating. I've noticed but never documented that inside on the left is colder, though close to outside on 8 can be brutal. Never caught on to the normal on the right side. If you have this summarized in Excel or something that can get transmitted without shutting down the internet due to the size of the document (like a PDF may be massive), I'd love to read/study/review it (in whatever format you might have - text, graph, or what have you) - of course, if you don't have it in a consolidated format, don't prepare it for me !!! But - I'm a very big advocate of tropics leading the charge and would love to see anything you have. Thanks and Best! Phil

the clipper coming down is a given. the angle of the trough and how far West it can get is all that matters . and I wouldn't call the gfs a fluke it has 100 percent support from its ensembles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Navgem...I wouldn't put my trust in that model to save my life...Maybe I'll be wrong but still...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It may not be a reliable model like the GFS and Euro. But with that clipper coming down, I'm taking it in consideration because we've seen that clipper come down on the GFS before.

Can someone tell me what the teleconnections look like? Also does anyone have a link to their forecasting page?
PNA is neutral positive, NAO goes slightly positive, and AO goes decently negative after Feb 1st. I really don't pay too much attention to them since we have had ideal conditions and no snow and terrible conditions except the EPO and got a storm.

I know. I just don't remember what the website is that shows you the forecasted values for them.

PNA is neutral positive, NAO goes slightly positive, and AO goes decently negative after Feb 1st. I really don't pay too much attention to them since we have had ideal conditions and no snow and terrible conditions except the EPO and got a storm.
I'm trying to get a SOI forecast but am getting web errors on my link - anyone got anything looking out the next 5 - 7 days?

the clipper coming down is a given. the angle of the trough and how far West it can get is all that matters . and I wouldn't call the gfs a fluke it has 100 percent support from its ensembles

The 18z GFS isn't a fluke all the way, just on some certain points. I should have put it that way.

It may not be a reliable model like the GFS and Euro. But with that clipper coming down, I'm taking it in consideration because we've seen that clipper come down on the GFS before.

all models have the same energy it's just in different positions due to trough orientation

Absolutely fascinating. I've noticed but never documented that inside on the left is colder, though close to outside on 8 can be brutal. Never caught on to the normal on the right side. If you have this summarized in Excel or something that can get transmitted without shutting down the internet due to the size of the document (like a PDF may be massive), I'd love to read/study/review it (in whatever format you might have - text, graph, or what have you) - of course, if you don't have it in a consolidated format, don't prepare it for me !!! But - I'm a very big advocate of tropics leading the charge and would love to see anything you have. Thanks and Best! Phil

You're welcome! I have been planning to post about this in the blog here. In there, I'd include a diagram that I think you'll like. The diagram says it all. (I've actually posted this diagram before.) So, what if you just look at the blog post when it is ready. I'll inform you when it is done. Hopefully it will be done very soon. Is that ok?

Back