• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, actually I'm I'm a area where i do get hit pretty good sometimes. But yeah I'm a true snow lover and dedicated chaser. Couple years ago and the year before was good for me, with an amazing ice storm and snowstorm.

Lol, just last week I had freezing rain, couple years ago 2 ice storms year before big snowstorm. I'm doing pretty good where I'm at. But yeah my area is hard to come by with winter storms sometimes, but then I'll chase as well

I hope I am posting this in the right discussion.  I don't usually post.  I just sit back and read and try to learn.  I was just wondering what's the year on record for the hottest day in January and what was that temperature.  I sort of thought maybe these 70's had set a new record for January.

WilkesboroDudeI found the below pretty cool...thought I would copy and paste FYI.

"The radius of ice accumulation on items such as limbs and power lines is typically about 20% to 40% of the total amount of rain that falls during an ice storm, according to a recent Weather and Forecasting paper by meteorologists Kristopher Sanders and Brian Barjenbruch (NWS/Topeka, KS)."

That is lower than I thought. I had thought it tended to be near 50%.

I usually get some nice winter storms, but not like my northern areas does.

OK I did not know all those were posted by me, sorry didn't mean to post alot that time. Don't know what happened

shoalswxlady said:
I hope I am posting this in the right discussion.  I don't usually post.  I just sit back and read and try to learn.  I was just wondering what's the year on record for the hottest day in January and what was that temperature.  I sort of thought maybe these 70's had set a new record for January.

Your record high in January is 80. Your record is safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euro goes wild at day 10. Lol at the bomb it develops.
ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

ForsythSnow said:
ecmwf_T850_us_11.png
Yeah me thinks that might be a little on the strong side but I'd love to see it happen

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

SD said:
ForsythSnow said:
ecmwf_T850_us_11.png
Yeah me thinks that might be a little on the strong side but I'd love to see it happen

The warm nose would go all the way to Ashville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD said:
ForsythSnow said:
ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

It all depends on what that high in the Hudson bay does. The Euro builds it large and strong enough that it steers the strong system that both the GFS and the Euro have south. However, the GFS has the high weaker, sending the low still strong up into the Midwest and bombing out there. The GFS-Para and its Ensembles support the Op's path, and the EPS takes a middle ground. The high would, per modeled, make the difference between snowstorm or severe weather outbreak. I would love to see a storm that soon, but the chances of a severe outbreak before a storm are more likely.

shoalswxlady said:

From 
http://www.alabamawx.com/?p=110423

[font='PT Sans', sans-serif]*The high has reached or exceeded 70 degrees on 284 January days since 1900 in Birmingham.[/font]
[font='PT Sans', sans-serif]*Warmest January temperature on record: 81 degrees on January 10, 1949.[/font]
[font='PT Sans', sans-serif]*We reached or exceeded 78 degrees on 13 days since 1900…[/font]
[font='PT Sans', sans-serif]January 10, 1949 81
January 17, 1943 79
January 20, 1928 78
January 14, 1932 78
January 22, 1937 78
January 23, 1943 78
January 15, 1947 78
January 11, 1949 78
January 24, 1950 78
January 25, 1950 78
January 30, 1950 78
January 1, 1952 78
January 29, 2002 78[/font]

[font='PT Sans', sans-serif]*Warmest month of January on record, by far was January 1950 with an average high of 66.65 degrees. Next comes January 1937 at 63.35 degrees, and January 1907 at 61.90 degrees. [/font]

ForsythSnow said:
SD said:
ForsythSnow said:
ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

It all depends on what that high in the Hudson bay does. The Euro builds it large and strong enough that it steers the strong system that both the GFS and the Euro have south. However, the GFS has the high weaker, sending the low still strong up into the Midwest and bombing out there. The GFS-Para and its Ensembles support the Op's path, and the EPS takes a middle ground. The high would, per modeled, make the difference between snowstorm or severe weather outbreak. I would love to see a storm that soon, but the chances of a severe outbreak before a storm are more likely.
Agree I think the euro is way too amplified and Southeast

metwannabe said:
So did I miss anything [sarcasm] [UNAMUSED FACE]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just that weather on planet earth is volatile, wild swings of temperature likey occur and the southeastern United states isn't always an ideal location for winter weather lol.

Roswellian said:
metwannabe said:
So did I miss anything [sarcasm] [UNAMUSED FACE]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just that weather on planet earth is volatile, wild swings of temperature likey occur and the southeastern United states isn't always an ideal location for winter weather lol.
This might be the best answer ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back