• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boosted said:
snaowstud said:
accu35 said:
We already seen a pattern change this winter, went from cold to warm and back to cold, that's a change. If you live in the southeast then that's what to be expected. Models looking good for the change in about 10 dsys, have faith.

NO, this is not normal, guess you glossed over my response above.  The RIDGE has been PERSISTENT since last Winter, this could turn out to be warmer than last winter, IMO. The pattern change is 15 days away and will be tomorrow and the next day. And you think we had a "warm" nose last week, wait till the next threat comes if any, the upper levels are so hot, if this was July or August we would be 105 or higher.
 What are you talking about? Cold air never locks in at these latitudes for an extended length of time. We get it, it's warm right now. As for the pattern shift it's pretty evident on almost every global model solution if you would look. Also that "warm" nose is due to our close proximity to the always warm Gulf of Mexico. This isn't the first time warm air aloft has mitigated a winter event in the south. This is one of the many reasons why predicting winter wx in the south is so difficult. I suggest moving to a higher latitude if you want cold and snow locked in.
If warm air can lock in for weeks at a time in the winter there is no reason why cold air shouldnt be able to lock in also. If we can have 2 weeks of 20+ AN we should get 2 weeks of 20+ BN to balance things out. Problem is that we never seem to get the cold extremes to last for as long as the warm extremes so we end up never balancing our temps out which is why every freaking month for the last 12 months has been AN in Atlanta.

I found the below pretty cool...thought I would copy and paste FYI.

"The radius of ice accumulation on items such as limbs and power lines is typically about 20% to 40% of the total amount of rain that falls during an ice storm, according to a recent Weather and Forecasting paper by meteorologists Kristopher Sanders and Brian Barjenbruch (NWS/Topeka, KS)."

SD, this could have some merit if the mjo gets in the colder phases imo. Not sure about the PV trying to weaken. It would be nice to see

SD, what you think about this: Andrea Lopez Lang
@alopezlang
6h
Troposphere-stratosphere wave coupling via 45-75N geo. height amplitude. GFS forecast shows a battle btwn wave 1 and 2. pic.twitter.com/NgjHmBS7Y0
View photo ·

snaowstud said:
Boosted said:
snaowstud said:
NO, this is not normal, guess you glossed over my response above.  The RIDGE has been PERSISTENT since last Winter, this could turn out to be warmer than last winter, IMO. The pattern change is 15 days away and will be tomorrow and the next day. And you think we had a "warm" nose last week, wait till the next threat comes if any, the upper levels are so hot, if this was July or August we would be 105 or higher.
 What are you talking about? Cold air never locks in at these latitudes for an extended length of time. We get it, it's warm right now. As for the pattern shift it's pretty evident on almost every global model solution if you would look. Also that "warm" nose is due to our close proximity to the always warm Gulf of Mexico. This isn't the first time warm air aloft has mitigated a winter event in the south. This is one of the many reasons why predicting winter wx in the south is so difficult. I suggest moving to a higher latitude if you want cold and snow locked in.

Is this the man that looks like Colonel Sanders that had way too many biscuits, or is it the infamously famous JS? :exclamation: :exclamation:
I am definitely not a moderator, but I think you should think about what you are saying. You are placing strange out of place comments into a thread about discussing weather. Now let's get back to discussing the pattern. :)

Long range experimental outlook
d19f39286fa82da5905ef45d198560c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

WilkesboroDude said:
I found the below pretty cool...thought I would copy and paste FYI.

"The radius of ice accumulation on items such as limbs and power lines is typically about 20% to 40% of the total amount of rain that falls during an ice storm, according to a recent Weather and Forecasting paper by meteorologists Kristopher Sanders and Brian Barjenbruch (NWS/Topeka, KS)."
That makes sense, but it also depends on rates and temperature. You can have higher with light precipitation and low temperatures.

Boosted said:
snaowstud said:
accu35 said:
We already seen a pattern change this winter, went from cold to warm and back to cold, that's a change. If you live in the southeast then that's what to be expected. Models looking good for the change in about 10 dsys, have faith.

There will always be warm noses with winter systems except for the far, far north where it stays cold all winter long. The placement of the warm nose depends on track of low and other factors. The upper levels don't always stay warm. When a strong cold front passes through, the upper levels will become colder as a HP builds in after a strong cold front passage.

I did post a long range experimental temp outlook map that started late this month into Feb. I think the image got deleted cause it had Feb. on it as well. Anyway, the map had all of the SE (expect for central and Southern FL) having a 50% chance of below normal temps. starting Jan. 28th and some places at a 55%. Of course the timing could change because we are speaking of the long range.

JLL1973 said:
ForsythSnow said:
Storm5 said:
no one wants to talk about late next weekend for areas to our west.

ice storm city
c532c3bcd08f8c2ada6a5a73d87a168f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was going to upload an image of the ice they are showing, then saw the site was back up, then forgot. Here it is.
zr_acc.us_ov.png

Worst spot is 1.8" of ice. Imagine if that played out as even half.

What is more impressive are the temps and the high behind that. The 18Z GFS has a 1053 high in the Midwest, with -30 temps.

one inch of ice. na i think ill pass on that

SoutheastRidge said:
Snowman63 said:
accu35 said:
I promise some ppl on here just eartates me.

accu35 said:
Jackson Alabama

Wow, that maybe worse than Waycross, Ga.

Dang, he probably gets snow once every 20 years ?

I give credit to all the snow lovers in the real Deep South. Where I live is still hard enough to deal with and I'm guaranteed to see at least 5-10 days of snow falling during the winter. Had I known how much I would love snow when I moved to Tennessee I would have definitely moved further north.

olhausen said:
JLL1973 said:
ForsythSnow said:
I was going to upload an image of the ice they are showing, then saw the site was back up, then forgot. Here it is.
zr_acc.us_ov.png

Worst spot is 1.8" of ice. Imagine if that played out as even half.

What is more impressive are the temps and the high behind that. The 18Z GFS has a 1053 high in the Midwest, with -30 temps.

one inch of ice. na i think ill pass on that

SoutheastRidge said:
Snowman63 said:
Wow, that maybe worse than Waycross, Ga.

Dang, he probably gets snow once every 20 years ?

I give credit to all the snow lovers in the real Deep South. Where I live is still hard enough to deal with and I'm guaranteed to see at least 5-10 days of snow falling during the winter. Had I known how much I would love snow when I moved to Tennessee I would have definitely moved further north.

You gotta admire his dedication and optimism. If i lived in South AL i would probably never even bother posting on a board like this. I would feel hopeless.

I'll take whatever the 00z gfs is smoking ..... good grief

sweet pattern

Storm5 said:
I'll take whatever the 00z gfs is smoking ..... good grief

sweet pattern

It was ok. You might get something out of that (sarcasm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back