• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9 Wintery Weather Potential!

Lol that snow band looks similar to feb 2013

Haha yep just a lesser version of Feb 2013 because CAPE is garbage this time around which also means lower rates. Nonetheless, I think there's potential for a few spots to pick up an inch or so where ever this dCVA and coincident banding sets up. Right now, the models are hinting that this may occur near the NC/SC, thus both of our locations would be in the driver seat for that, but still plenty of time to sort this out.

NAM looks slightly to warm from its earlier forecast at 21z at H85View attachment 64056View attachment 64059
The difference between the 3K and Nam were really big that 18z run. 3K was some 3-4 degrees colder aloft than the NAM and much earlier. You mix the thermals from the 3K and the precip from the NAM and you're looking at a much bigger spread of snow further south.

Worth mentioning wrt backside snow potential:

The exact upper low track is gonna be key here imo and deep-layer cold advection over time will lead to large-scale subsidence area-wide tomorrow evening as the precip changes from rain to snow/sleet, we're gonna need some additional forcing for ascent help to keep generating precip back in the colder air.

Based on the latest 3km NAM & HRRR runs, the strongest differential cyclonic vorticity advection to compensate for sinking from cold advection will be down towards the SC/NC state line, implying a greater potential for backside snow/sleet in areas near the US HWY 74 corridor like Charlotte & Fayetteville vs Raleigh-Durham, at least as things currently stand.

View attachment 64032

View attachment 64033
Yeah the 3km NAM has been fairly consistent with this today showing my part of Union County with around 2 inches and now HRRR is steadily showing it as well. I was wondering if GSP might include us in the WWA but I can see given the potential that it’s a more in the way of localized nature, they’ll probably pull the trigger later if the models stay consistent with it through the night.

Back