• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9 Wintery Weather Potential!

Lol this system has a spot in my head for having some of the biggest rates and snowflakes ever, had to be some golf ball sized falls of even bigger at times

Yeah the intercepts my friend & I made thru the cores of several intense snow bands over the day certainly proves this. Biggest aggregates we saw were in SE Caswell/SW Person counties and near Yanceyville that evening. Snow accumulated to nearly 0.5" on the roads near Prospect Hill in just 15 mins, actually was oddly more on the road than grassy surfaces. Drove literally all day over NC & VA but purposely driving into heavy snow over, and over, over again was extremely fun lol.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but me and my mom hiked up to the Highlands Learning Center near Purchase Knob and Maggie Valley, just inside GSMNP. Always had wanted to see the smokies in the snow, can even see evidence of inversion/riming on the peak on the right of this pic.
thumbnail_Image (1).jpg

Had I been here, I would have echoed @Webberweather53 thoughts about 3 days before the storm as I chased this one near Mount Rogers, Virginia! I had over half a foot while Wilkes barely had 1”. I set back and laughed at all the Mets near i40 forecasting warning amounts and refusing to back down in case the deform band surprised them. This was utter bs if they would have used ground truth reporting that morning they could have dropped the warning by lunch time. I mean, the ground was so wet and melted in Wilkes by 8am I highly doubt warning criteria snows would occur down near i40 during peak heating when temps were 38 degrees. I understand they apologized that night but it really showed something in their character as a forecaster. Most noticeably Scotty Powel and a few others completely ignored upstream observations and soundings. While totals were not great it somehow managed to stay all light snow in Wilkes during the day from what I was told by family with rain closer to i77 and points south.

Back