• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 3rd-6th, 2018 Winter Storm The ARCC/Xtreme Weather Special

Isn't it pretty obvious where the surface low should be tracking with a neg tilted H5 trough and this setting out there? If the low doesn't adjust significantly further west with this setup I'm going to have to go back to school for a while.

namconus_T2m_seus_50.png
No doubt. I think this is going to sit just off shore near Jax

Once again like most models have been doing, the 18Z GFS has the sfc low move NE from Grand Bahama Island. If it had instead moved NNE like the NAM and ICON runs have been showing, it would have been a major SE coastal hit. So, which direction is that low likely to travel?

I don't think this is slipping away though.
I was just kind of kidding. It could go either way. But I can tell you this: I’ve heard how models are wrong for not showing snow way more than I’ve actually seen snow falling from the sky.

I was just kind of kidding. It could go either way. But I can tell you this: I’ve heard how models are wrong for not showing snow way more than I’ve actually seen snow falling from the sky.
Well we'll see with the next few runs, honestly I think you're in a really good spot.

Well we'll see with the next few runs, honestly I think you're in a really good spot.
Yeah, I’m just hoping to see some snow falls big for a change. It’s definitely not too far away from something nice for this area. It I want to go ahead and start seeing a model show me something.

I think this may end up being pretty darn correct when it talks about where the moisture gets, barring some larger changes (we are running out of time):

P1_GZ_D5_PN_078_0000.gif

18z ICON showing a better idea than the GFS, me thinks.

GZ_D5_PN_078_0000.gif

Still another ICON run (at least 5 in a row) with a NNE move of the surface low from Grand Bahama Island, which is similar to recent NAM runs and leads to major impacts making it onto land, but different from most other models with their NE movement and thus less impact on land.

Back