• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations January 3-6th. 2018 Winter Storm Observations

Where's Brett? Must be out plowing roads because he got crushed last night

23 degrees here in downtown Cleveland with a legit flizzard :) Lots of reports across Northern East TN of snow showers dropping quick dustings or more.

Here's some of the totals I've been able to find thus far across central NC and SC border counties in areas where it has stopped snowing: As mentioned earlier please feel free to add what you saw in your location if you don't see it on here so I can make sure the reanalyzed & archived map of this event is more accurate! The NWS Local Storm Reports & NOWData are very skimpy at best, the last couple events I've relied very heavily on the information given by everyone here on this forum...
Aberdeen:4.5”
Apex: 1.3”
Bethel (NE Person): 1.5"
Carthage: 5.5”
Cary: 1.7"
Cary (West): 1.5"
Chalybeate Springs (NE Harnett): 1.3”
Chapel Hill: 2.5-3”
Chatam County (NW): Dusting
Conway, SC: 3”
Dillon, SC: 6"
Durham: 1.5"
Falls Lake: 0.4"
Fort Bragg: 1.5”
Greensboro: 0.3"
Hamlet: 3”
Haw River (E Alamance): 1"
Hillsborough: 1"
Holly Springs: 0.5"
Knightdale: 1”
Lake Wheeler: 0.5"
Laurinburg: 6”
Masonboro (south-central New Hanover): 2"
Maxton: 4.5”
Moncure: 4.0"
Morrisville: 1"
NWS ILM Office: 3.5"
NWS RAH Office: 0.8"
Pembroke: 3”
Pinehurst: 6”
Pinebluff (Moore): 4.5”
Pittsboro: 3"
Ramseur: 1"
Randleman: 0.5”
RDU: 0.5"
Rockingham: 4"
Roxboro: 1.5”
Sanford: 5.5"
Sanford (2): 5"
Sanford (West): 4"
Saxphaw (SE Alamance): 1"
Seagrove: 2"
Seven Lakes: 4”
Sophia: 0.3”
Surl (SE Person): 1"
Wilmington: 4.5"

I have some friends that live out towards Rocky Mount/Nashville area and told me they received 6 inches. Just wanted you to have it for your list your compiling.

I would also like to note, I work outside and haven't seen a single bug in 7 days

My total liquid equivalent precip, which was all either ZR, IP, or snow melted down to 0.75" making it easily the highest wintry liquid equivalent from a storm here since 1922! I'm glad I measured it as the auto sensor for KSAV grossly underdid the precip as it had it only at a ridiculously way too low 0.23"! I hope KCHS looks into changing this for the official liquid equivalent total just like they're considering doing for the auto sensor's laughable 0.26" for KCHS vs its melted down 1.16". As a wx history kind of guy, I put a lot of importance on accurate records and can't believe that with our advancements in technology that I'm having to post about this!!

Edit: my rough estimate for the 0.75" total liquid equivalent's breakdown is 0.45" from ZR leading to 0.25" ice on the trees, 0.10" from IP, and 0.20" from SN.

Last edited:
With all the snow cover around, KCHS continues to break daily record lows. 17° on Thursday and 16° at least so far this Fri morning. Summerville has been 12° on both Thursday and Friday mornings!

Here's a short montage of satellite, personal photos and more meteorological stats on a short vid I did for this historical event.

Last edited:
With all the snow cover around, KCHS continues to break daily record lows. 17° on Thursday and 16° at least so far this Fri morning. Summerville has been 12° on both Thursday and Friday mornings!

Here's a short montage of satellite, personal photos and more meteorological stats on a short vid I did for this historical event.

Wow!! Im so happy for you.

I took a 2nd amazing snow walk this evening, which is amazing just because I could still do it over 2 days after the end of the snowfall! Shaded areas, which are numerous in SAV, still have up to 2" of snow!! That's what getting significant ZR followed by IP to establish an icy hard base for the snow in combo with such a long period from before til now of unusual cold (hard freezes every night and highs 30's-40's) will do to its longevity.

In SAV a day past my post above this and more than three days after the storm ended, there still is plenty of snow (up to 2"!) and ice in shaded areas! I went downtown for the first time since the storm and there are many shaded portions of streets and sidewalks still with very slippery ice! I walked in Forsyth Park late today and was slipping and sliding in a number of spots. Keep in mind this was with temperatures in the low 40s and the 3rd day in a row after the storm of highs in the mid 40s. Also, there were a number of wet spots from melting ice and snow that will refreeze into black ice with still another hard freeze tonight. Most roofs still have snow on them, especially the portion facing north. The first week in January of 2018 will turn out to be one of the coldest 7 day periods in history going back to the 1870s. As soon as I get time, I'd like to compile the coldest 7 day periods. I suspect this will come in at least top 5. Combine that with a very rare major winter storm and this is the result. I still have a few icicles hanging off my roof!

Last edited:
Here are two pics I took on a great evening snow walk just a few hours after it ended:

1st one: from snow walk, a house with a snow covered yard and all decorated for Xmas

2nd one: from snow walk, snow in and under Spanish moss

Attachments

• IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back