• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

Can’t take the snow accum maps verbatim bro. The snow doesn’t know where those lines are drawn & furthermore give zero effs about them.
Semi-reverse psychology. Plus, better to not expect anything and be suprised than vice-versa. But for real, I don't expect enough snow to cover the ground here. I think the lee side effect will be in place with this; the dense cold air will have a tough time spilling over the mnts into this area and points east.

EF7A9412-0BC7-46D4-9584-8AAB88DF4EBB.thumb.jpeg.4a91e4b83636e589de865f25889c47e1.jpeg

It appears that Forsyth will be right on the fringe of getting almost nothing and making the ground a little white. At this point in a winter that I have not seen a sleet pellet or flurry, I'll take a dusting and call it a win. It does suck that only a county or two to my west will probably get 1-2" but I'll take what I can get. 1-2 counties to my east will probably get nothing so I should be happy.
Actually, FCC is calling for 1-2" of snow for Forsyth County.

I feel pretty sure the GFS has been under doing the moisture recently after comparing HRRR to GFS thru 12am Tuesday. :)
Widespread 2" snow amounts starting to enter AL on the HRRR is a good sign:

snow-1-27-19_zps0v0k3dfl.gif
The hrrr is extremely untrustworthy the further you get from hour zero. I think it’s best from about 6 hours or less. Many of us have hung our hopes on the hrrr before only to have things slowly correct to other guidance one run at a time. Typically, you want to use a blend of the best models, especially the hi-res nam.

This is a learning questions for me.Will the temperature profile support wet snow or Powder? Will this be a heavy wet snow or a dry snow? Could it start as a wet snow and as it gets colder will it "dry out"? Speaking of central Bama.

The hrrr is extremely untrustworthy the further you get from hour zero. I think it’s best from about 6 hours or less. Many of us have hung our hopes on the hrrr before only to have things slowly correct to other guidance one run at a time. Typically, you want to use a blend of the best models, especially the hi-res nam.
I know at 18 hours out it has always been the best model here in N. AL for snow. Perhaps it's not as good at 36 hours out, but it also might be picking up on some small mesoscale features which the other models haven't picked up yet.

Last edited:
Back