• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 29th-30th ARCC Slam Dunk Winter Weather Threat

Hmmmm. It says up to 2 inches... I thought they only issued watches if it was 2 inches or more ? Seems like an Advisory would be a better way to go.

A watch is a watch. An advisory would be an upgrade to a watch. Many people don’t understand that an advisory is an upgrade to a watch. They are just making everyone aware that the possibility is there. It will be changed to either and advisory or warning depending on the amounts.

A watch is a watch. An advisory would be an upgrade to a watch. Many people don’t understand that an advisory is an upgrade to a watch. They are just making everyone aware that the possibility is there. It will be changed to either and advisory or warning depending on the amounts.
Couldn't they just start out with an Advisory and then upgrade to a Warning if needed ?

Couldn't they just start out with an Advisory and then upgrade to a Warning if needed ?

I’m pretty sure watches are typically issued 36-48 hours ahead of the actual storm and then a advisory or warning is 24 hours before the start. It’s a lot easier for a NWS to take away a watch and not catch as much hell when or if the event busts.

I’m pretty sure watches are typically issued 36-48 hours ahead of the actual storm and then a advisory or warning is 24 hours before the start. It’s a lot easier for a NWS to take away a watch and not catch as much hell when or if the event busts.
Yeah but many people perceive a Watch as being more serious than an Advisory

In order for a Watch to be issued almost 2 days in advance they have to be VERY confident that a significant event is about to unfold. When there is more uncertainty they usually hold off until 12 to 24 hours beforehand.

Yeah but many people perceive a Watch as being more serious than an Advisory

Looking up a definition is not hard, but people are dumb. I know when I’m under a tornado watch, that all that means is conditions are favorable for a tornado but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna be under a warning or get any severe weather at all. If I’m under a warning, then there obviously is a storm actually happening. It’s not hard to understand, but this is beginning to be banter.

All I know is that Storm5 and I want our watch dagumit!

They mentioned possibly issuing a WSW this morning on their morning disco, but said their low confidence in snowfall amounts were holding them back on issuing one.
So obviously something transpired today in the models that made them signficantly more confident in major snow accumulations.

Whew, so many people hammering the Alabamawx.com website that i can't even load the post.. also sounsd like we may be in good for a good snow storm.

FFC issued a Watch despite saying this in the AFD:

12Z guidance a bit faster with progression of precip with a potential
quick end to the snow. Also some indication strong drying in low
levels will limit QPF and snow amounts behind front

15Z sref means:
Auburn .41
Montgomery .74
Meridian, Ms. 1.19
Tuscaloosa 1.27
Atlanta 1.36
Starkville 1.87
Rome, Ga. 2.11
Anniston 2.26
Tupelo, Ms. 2.33
Birmingham 2.27
Muscle Shoals 2.6
Chattanooga 2.78
Ft. Payne 2.78
Huntsville 3.03
Nashville 3.24
Jackson, Ms. 3.24
Memphis 3.43

Huh. .36 mean 1.49 max. Higher than I expected. Not gonna raise my expectations, I'd be happy to see flakes at all

Back