• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

As I alluded to yesterday, even though that upper low is trending south hundreds of miles, there has been no change in the amount of low level cold air available at the start of this event. Without the surface high nosing in -- which would require the upper low to shift east hundreds of miles -- it is going to be an extremely narrow tightrope to make this work other than maybe a backside band somewhere in northeastern NC.

View attachment 67568

View attachment 67569

View attachment 67570

View attachment 67571

That low really just killed any chance of a significant event. Not sure what could change in the next couple of days to improve the situation...the UK is threading the needle near perfectly.

As I alluded to yesterday, even though that upper low is trending south hundreds of miles, there has been no change in the amount of low level cold air available at the start of this event. Without the surface high nosing in -- which would require the upper low to shift east hundreds of miles -- it is going to be an extremely narrow tightrope to make this work other than maybe a backside band somewhere in northeastern NC.

View attachment 67568

View attachment 67569

View attachment 67570

View attachment 67571

Yeah but all things aren’t equal here...There’s been a change in the timing this run. The 12z euro sped up a little bit this run. It’s marginal, but the cold is there if the Euro sticks to its original timing. For instance, the bulk of precip on a lot of these runs and including a lot of other modeling, occurs between 1am-7am for Central NC. 12z euro has the bulk of precip occurring before 1am, when temps are warm at the surface.

Also, Euro isn't infallible at day 4. Look at how it's trended for the system affecting the northern plains in a couple of days...much more amped. Which has impacted the MA folks from getting an event. The MA was looking at potentially 2 events this week just 24-36 hours ago...and now that's really diminished.

trend-ecmwf_full-2021012412-f036.500hv.conus.gif

Euro with some nice pre-spring showers the next week or so. Been the theme past couple of months...

2 months of -AO/-NAO and will be nothing to show from it. That doesn't happen often.

ecmwf-deterministic-se-total_precip_inch-2224000.png

60dPNormUS.png

The euro has made massive steps towards a more favorable look in the medium range, a few more of these and we have a miller B/CAD situation, that TPV Phasing with our storm amplifies over the Atlantic and becomes a strong SE Canada vortex which helps us out FE427E3C-E50E-4074-A917-C90789C741E2.png2415BAA2-D333-4750-B4B0-34AE23D5E2BE.pngA795EF33-CC63-4E44-A3E2-7E6F44A90F59.pngC3489E1E-6A5B-45D2-9D12-AD80DA777478.png

The euro has made massive steps towards a more favorable look in the medium range, a few more of these and we have a miller B/CAD situation, that TPV Phasing with our storm amplifies over the Atlantic and becomes a strong SE Canada vortex which helps us out View attachment 67583View attachment 67584View attachment 67585View attachment 67586
It’s also called snow pack to our north will cause cad winter storm in the short to medium range. Works wonders. But need the storm to actually happen for Virginia north

The surface pattern is getting much better as expected towards that range, I was honestly thinking about waving the white flag but if this continues, nah lol
Do need to fix the location of our shortwave tho in the US3D60F879-1F10-4E13-B9A4-5D592F3AA8C6.gif

Need the bombagenisis right as it exits coast, not a second latter. Then you need it in a certain spot,depending on your location. Long shot, but its all we got and have to root for.

100% correct, I would probably tuck the surface reflection in a little closer around max delta T, natural baroclinicity along the Gulf stream, anywhere from 30-60 miles depending on where from the NC coast. UK is about perfect with the 850, starts blossoming once off ILM on a NE track. Sub 990 off the coast will be more than sufficient for a robust cold core conveyer belt, whether that's in the ATL or onshore somewhere is TBD.

Aren't we going to be too warm after the system late week to realistically expect anything in the immediate long term of early Feb?

As birdbrains alluded to, if the Euro/EPS idea is right, we want this first system to deliver a nice snow to our north, as that helps the one after, snowpack to our north isn’t impressive atm, I just hope we can trend better with it and keep it a CAD setup rather, here north of CLT, I’d rather have a miller B/CAD setup over a miller A, given we get screwed on a often back west with those

As birdbrains alluded to, if the Euro/EPS idea is right, we want this first system to deliver a nice snow to our north, as that helps the one after, snowpack to our north isn’t impressive atm, I just hope we can trend better with it and keep it a CAD setup rather, here north of CLT, I’d rather have a miller B/CAD setup over a miller A, given we get screwed on a often back west with those

Exactly the reason we are pulling for a Miller A in Georgia. ;)

Back