• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

I guess we're making progress with the small shifts south, but it still might not make much of a difference for NC folks. We need some bigger shifts.

I’m a little surprised to see the President’s Day’79 storm as an analog. That storm was very unusually cold for snowstorms in the Carolinas with KGSO, KRDU, and KCLT all having temperatures in the low to mid teens during the bulk of the storm... sounds like it would have been a much different set up.
I remember that storm very well also. Like you said low to mid teens, and during the day. The next day, I believe was Monday ,sunny mid to upper 40s meltfest

Early on, 12z icon has the N/S energy a little further SW and the wave coming into TX, not sure if this will make a difference, but let's see what happens
f9720bf58a78e1e6d0df3fb1ce664f92.gif

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

Sort of similar to 00z Euro but with a stronger low E of Hatteras, NE NC with perhaps some accumulating snow
4572978a67d5557afdd5d6fc3b212f88.jpg

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

Southern VA Special on the 12z GFS. Looks to get the northern tier counties of NC in on the good stuff if my map reading abilities are still up to par.

EDIT - pivotal has most of it showing up as rain in NC. The column was good for a larger area, but surface temps are in the mid 40's.

GFS coming into line with a southern VA jackpot.

Past 4 0z/12 runs on the GFS

trend-gfs-2021012412-f102.snku_024h.conus.gif

qpf_024h.us_ma.png

Now we need colder air!
This is the problem with the solution we have now. Unless that upper low can shift 100s of miles east such that the NVA is over New England, how are we going to get a surface high pressure to drive that cold air into the region? The only way I see is to thread the needle with a weak suppressed low that explodes once offshore, like what the UKMET did - and what a fine needle to thread that is.

Back