• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

RDU held at 26 all night somehow . Looks like a breeze and cloud cover that moved in . Places further east stayed clear so got colder .

RDU held at 26 all night somehow . Looks like a breeze and cloud cover that moved in . Places further east stayed clear so got colder .
Yep, I got down to 22 in SW Wilson County
e916ef72b7f4802c3b4a77957815837d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

I experienced that Feb. 6-7 1980 event firsthand from Duck (far northern OBX). It was a beast. It seems to me that areas down east or NE will be favored in this setup (if it is to produce snow in NC)

The Newfoundland low is also trending ese...creating quite a wall with that low diving down south of Hudson Bay. The NE crew ain't going to like that.

Past 3 EPS runs at day 4
View attachment 67503
I think that 50/50 low position is really what is going to help us the most in NC if it keeps trending stronger and further SW. the Hudson Bay low also helps, but to get more confluence and more antecedent cold available I think that is the biggest feature IMO

I think that 50/50 low position is really what is going to help us the most in NC if it keeps trending stronger and further SW. the Hudson Bay low also helps, but to get more confluence and more antecedent cold available I think that is the biggest feature IMO

With the NF low trending WSW it also has held up the hp from sliding in...no more ice to worry about.

EPS2.gifEPS.gif

I experienced that Feb. 6-7 1980 event firsthand from Duck (far northern OBX). It was a beast. It seems to me that areas down east or NE will be favored in this setup (if it is to produce snow in NC)

I recall the President's Day storm of '79 and both of the storms in 1980. It seemed like the separate storms in '80 were about two weeks apart, but I knew my memory was a bit foggy as we're talking about four decades ago and I had recently turned 7 years old in the early part of '80.

I recall the President's Day storm of '79 and both of the storms in 1980. It seemed like the separate storms in '80 were about two weeks apart, but I knew my memory was a bit foggy as we're talking about four decades ago and I had recently turned 7 years old in the early part of '80.
I’m a little surprised to see the President’s Day’79 storm as an analog. That storm was very unusually cold for snowstorms in the Carolinas with KGSO, KRDU, and KCLT all having temperatures in the low to mid teens during the bulk of the storm... sounds like it would have been a much different set up.

So comparing the 12z NAM to the 6z GFS, the NAM is a good bit SE at hour 84. Not sure how it would play out afterwards but at least it looks better (...or different).

Back