• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Storm track on the NAM is clear as day. The low level cold air mass was THE reason the storm was further south along the wedge front. Without the high, that front is much further north and thus the low track WILL be further north.

818B1A42-D39C-427F-91B5-7318816CF7F6.png

Last edited:
Storm track on the NAM is clear as day. The low level cold air mass was THE reason the storm was further south along the wedge front. Without the high, that front is much further north and thus the low track WILL be further north and that is not debatable.

View attachment 67293
The energy in the north is not going to allow the track to be further north. As it pushes further and further south so will the Low.

The energy in the north is not going to allow the track to be further north. As it pushes further and further south so will the Low.
This is not correct.

Let's take a look. First, let's look at the H5 setup from the 00z run on 1/22 when NC got crushed.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh150-168.gif

Now look at today's 12z run. There's very little difference in the track of the shortwave.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh108-126.gif

So what changed? The low level cold air mass and wedge front.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh150-168.gif

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh108-126.gif

gfs_Td2m_us_fh150-168.gif

gfs_Td2m_us_fh108-126.gif

This is not correct.

Let's take a look. First, let's look at the H5 setup from the 00z run on 1/22 when NC got crushed.

View attachment 67295

Now look at today's 12z run. There's very little difference in the track of the shortwave.

View attachment 67296

So what changed? The low level cold air mass and wedge front.

View attachment 67298

View attachment 67299

View attachment 67300

View attachment 67301

Yep agreed. That screwed up the great run from a couple of days ago. Now I’m not sure how it can evolve to get back on track. I think a weak sauce event like the 18z icon is on the table if that low keeps dropping south...just my naive guess though.

Not to sound selfish but a couple of us only need a 50-75 mile southward shift modernweeniemodernweenie
I said 60 last night for you. Its more like 30 now. But no doubt you and the pit county, NE coastal plain guys are inches from a perfect smackdown. This rapid deepening right off coast, without fighting waa is a huge, very rare opportunity. Someone coastal plain VA,NE NC is gonna score a big one here.

Yep agreed. That screwed up the great run from a couple of days ago. Now I’m not sure how it can evolve to get back on track. I think a weak sauce event like the 18z icon is on the table if that low keeps dropping south...just my naive guess though.
Yeah I'm not discounting some slop or crap event, but I think the big snow is off the table. I can't see any way that stupid low gets out of the way and allows our high to build in and without it, we are counting on backside snow which usually ends in disappointment. Maybe a few in northeastern NC score something here, but most of us are going to be left out in the cold rain I'm afraid. Just frustrating, because I really think we had a hit for at least a large portion of NC lined up before that wrench got thrown.

I said 60 last night for you. Its more like 30 now. But no doubt you and the pit county, NE coastal plain guys are inches from a perfect smackdown. This rapid deepening right off coast, without fighting waa is a huge, very rare opportunity. Someone coastal plain VA,NE NC is gonna score a big one here.
The guy in Goldsboro Maryland ( eastern shore of Maryland ) looks to be in a sweet spot . Chincoteague va may not be a bad spot either .

It’s the only way at this point we can do it, so let’s continue this trend SE with that piece of the TPVE9140E42-072C-46C4-8811-BA44AF6C5CC9.gif

Reactions: RVD
But at this point that low up north of the lakes is in the worst possible spot....if that would slide SE quicker.

gfs-deterministic-conus-mslp-1781200.png

The HP is fighting like crazy to slide in there but that fn low is a menace.

EPS looks toasty to start Feb...I'm ready for some highs in the 60's and low in the 40's at night.

gfs-deterministic-conus-mslp-1813600.png

Back