• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

That was a wild ride the last 24 hours. From too far north 12z yesterday to better 18Z to epic 00Z to looking like it may be getting too far south (for me)....then completely off the rails in the other direction. We just can't even begin to trust anything outside 3 or 4 days.

I know I’ve been beating a dead ? all week and I’m sorry for that..but that doesn’t make me any less right #painView attachment 67121

It was wrong last night when it showed a foot across NC and it was wrong at the 18z run. The Euro was to far north with the system affecting Chicago at day 6 but it seems dialed in now. Let's see how the Euro looks this weekend. Remember, the 12z UK was a whiff almost, 18z ICON looked solid.

Edit: Now watch all the 0z models ram up into PA.

EPS.gif

Didn't realize Rah NWS was still fairly bullish hmmm

The next system will also emanate from the SW US and lift atop the
sub-tropical ridge on Wednesday, but with more downstream blocking,
the shortwave maintains more amplitude and moves further east,
inducing stronger cyclogenesis off the carolina coast by Thursday.
1040mb high pressure over eastern Canada is also in better position
to phase cold air with moisture associated with the shortwave. The
GFS is much more amplified with the shortwave and surface low, and
correspondingly produces a lot of precip than the weaker and more
suppressed ECWMF. Thermal profiles would support wintry precip
across the northern half of the CWA on Thursday, but confidence in
details remains very low given the shortwave and jet energy are
still well out over the Pacific NW and thus the storm track is
uncertain.

How did the nam look? I know it probably doesn't go out far enough

This is the last model we've got right now. If this goes North at 00Z we can probably hang it up.

View attachment 67150
Even if every model goes to crap for one run it’s not gonna be time to throw in the towel. We still have 2.5-3 days for things to trend better or worse

Back