• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

Thanks. Crazy as this sounds but prior to Jan 2000, the last 12"+ storm for you & @Rain Cold was actually Mar 1927.

In the last 90+ years, there has only been one 12"+ storm in both of your locations

That really puts things into perspective.

As you'd probably expect there's a big drop off in 12"+ storm frequency as you go SE across Wake County & that's not just in the modern era either
You didn't have to go there. I need to move back to brier creek

Thanks. Crazy as this sounds but prior to Jan 2000, the last 12"+ storm for you & @Rain Cold was actually Mar 1927.

In the last 90+ years, there has only been one 12"+ storm in both of your locations

That really puts things into perspective.

As you'd probably expect there's a big drop off in 12"+ storm frequency as you go SE across Wake County & that's not just in the modern era either

At PGV I measured 15 inches on Dec 3rd 2000 on top of an elevated protected aluminum boat.

At PGV I measured 15 inches on Dec 3rd 2000 on top of an elevated protected aluminum boat.

Yeah I was gonna actually add in a circle for Dec 2000 for parts of Pitt, Edgecombe, & Martin counties, but I'd like to investigate the storm further myself in the future to try & piece together what actually happened because you're far from the first person in that area that's told me about this.

Yeah I was gonna actually add in a circle for Dec 2000 for parts of Pitt, Edgecombe, & Martin counties, but I'd like to investigate the storm further myself in the future to try & piece together what actually happened.

Yeah that was a monster here. Had other yard measurements of 17 inches. It was a crusher.

We need the vort max to drop down about 150 miles to the south from where most models currently have it to put NC in the sweet spot

I am perfectly content with this. If I have learned anything over the years, it is- you never want to be in the bullseye 6-7 days out. Still, a lot to iron out, but I don't hate where we sit as of now. Let's see if that changes. Hoping for the best!

I know we've talked a lot about how we need confluence over the NE US to squash the SE US ridge and entice our s/w to dig further south in our favor. Well, there's another way we can do that... By strengthening the upstream ridge over the Rockies like the 12z EPS is doing, we can force our wave downstream over the MS Valley to dig a little more to the south and still kinda get to the same answer/solution we're hoping for.

1611344329290.png

I am perfectly content with this. If I have learned anything over the years, it is- you never want to be in the bullseye 6-7 days out. Still, a lot to iron out, but I don't hate where we sit as of now. Let's see if that changes. Hoping for the best!

For the kind of change we need to see here, there would still be wiggle room even at day 3 for it to legitimately happen in the models, definitely lots of time left.

Spectrum mentioned the mid atlantic could see some snow late Thursday into Friday. At least thats some snowpack to work with.

Back