• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

If the UK and the EURO stay suppressed/cold we're still in the game. IF.

It's clear looking at ensembles and OP runs there isn't a consensus yet. Once we begin to see OP runs locking in to a similar solution run after run, that is a sign models are figuring things out. With the energy out of the Pac NW and all the key components to this setup, expect some volatility in the runs the next 24 hours or so. Timing will be key on this one as well.

Kinda unrelated, but I finally got around to making this really sick map of the most recent 1 foot+ snowstorm at every location in NC. Few have been waiting longer to see a foot of snow on the ground than residents like me in Fayetteville, Dunn, & Smithfield. Parts of Scotland, northern Robeson, & southern Hoke counties probably haven't seen a foot of snow since the great Mar 1927 storm.

Most recent 1 foot+ snowstorm NC Snowmap.jpg

Kinda unrelated, but I finally got around to making this really sick map of the most recent 1 foot+ snowstorm at every location in NC. Few have been waiting longer to see a foot of snow on the ground than residents like me in Fayetteville, Dunn, & Smithfield. Parts of Scotland, northern Robeson, & southern Hoke counties probably haven't seen a foot of snow since the great Mar 1927 storm.

View attachment 67078
This is kind of awesome

View attachment 67078
Good job, really cool

GFS goes from a foot here to almost an inch the next run and hits VA instead. UK is way down in SC. Seems we're all over the place right now with the location of the storm. At least we have one now that looks like a legit threat for a lot of folks.

Euro is a little further north and faster with our 500mb setup out to hr126. Looks like it's going to be south of the GFS, but north of the UKMET. Let see the details in a minute.

I think I'd be fine if the Euro can come in the middle of the GFS and UK.

Nope.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210122-133016.png
    Screenshot_20210122-133016.png
    753 KB · Views: 37
This is kind of awesome

Thanks. Crazy as this sounds but prior to Jan 2000, the last 12"+ storm for you & @Rain Cold was actually Mar 1927.

In the last 90+ years, there has only been one 12"+ storm in both of your locations

That really puts things into perspective.

As you'd probably expect there's a big drop off in 12"+ storm frequency as you go SE across Wake County & that's not just in the modern era either

Weak and out to sea. I'm fine with it. I didn't want to see it amped up and north like the GFS and Canadian. I'd put more weight into the UKMET and Euro. The EPS trends are the most important thing at this lead time though.
Yeah but I think the problem is with blocking in place, without some NS energy injected into it and amplification you end up with suppression and not much qpf to work with.... we walk a fine line here

Back