• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2020 - Operation Thaw Alaska

Yeah, the Arctic blast of January 2018 gave me low of 2 above with no snowcover. Thirty miles to our east had 3 inches on the ground and got down to minus 3.

Same event I'm talking about I'm sure. Here in Tennessee it turned cold on Christmas day December 2017 and stayed cold to very cold into January. It was cold and dry for the first 8 days of the month highs in the upper 10s and lower 20s. We had lows of 1, 0 and 3 nights below 0 in that time frame. We had a trace of snow in the 15 day period from December 25th to Jan 8th. 14 of the 15 days
saw 0.00 precip.

If finally got to 33 on January 9th and to add insult to injury, it rained.

Same event I'm talking about I'm sure. Here in Tennessee it turned cold on Christmas day December 2017 and stayed cold to very cold into January. It was cold and dry for the first 8 days of the month highs in the upper 10s and lower 20s. We had lows of 1, 0 and 3 nights below 0 in that time frame. We had a trace of snow in the 15 day period from December 25th to Jan 8th. 14 of the 15 days
saw 0.00 precip.

If finally got to 33 on January 9th and to add insult to injury, it rained.
Chattanooga only got down to 8 during that snap, and .3 inches of snow. What a sad waste of sustained cold that was.

How do this correlate with snow?
Who knows. It's sorta like thunder in winter means snow in a few days. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Here, ice crystals aloft can correlate to an impending storm system. That's where the best correlation is, as opposed to precipitation type.

Less of a cold press thru HR 192

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that’s a miller B pattern at best for that first system. I’m not even remotely interested. Let’s see if we can step it down to a classic Miller A setup later in the run

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_41.png
Wait!! There's more

Jan 22. Does this coincide with the projected MJO phase 7?

Back