• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Jan 8-11 2024 System Severe

Wow - didn’t think it had touched down. It was only an active warning for a few minutes.
We will have to wait for confirmation from KFFC. I saw a flat bed truck that lost it's container, another rig missing it's front cowling (not sure how that happened?) many cars pulled over and emergency crews. My guess is just high winds from the elevated circulation or an EF0.

Yeah we definitely aren't keeping power if this is a preview well before the main event gets here. Good night

We know the wind gust maps are always overdone, no argument there, it's well established. However, latest run of 3k NAM showed a potential peak wind gust of 37 mph in Wake around 9:00 am and RDU has reported a 30 mph gust, so not too far off actually.
True. I was just saying it moved the stronger winds in during the very early AM hours with widespread gusts well into the 40s by now. But I was thinking of the 0z run too, since that's the last one I looked at. The 6z has mid-upper 40s now, approaching 50 across the area by 11 and then mid/upper 50s to 60+ from 1:00 until the squall line moves through. It's still doing that break apart thing as it gets into the Triangle with the squall line too.

Either way, it is going to get windy later. The wind advisory mentions gradient gusts to 50 now, so that's up from yesterday. Those widespread multi-hour 50+ gusts will probably verify as 30-40, with some random spikes over, which is still very impressive and enough to move things around in the yard pretty efficiently.

It's a little breezy here but nothing out of the ordinary. however, it's been a deluge with over 3" so far. Just got to the office and the drains are all pretty much overflowing onto the roads.

Can confirm weather is starting to get bad in South Georgia. Mom lives in Cordele, GA and she said between the lightning and wind it’s nerve wracking. It’s a good thing that school down there cancelled for today.

Can confirm weather is starting to get bad in South Georgia. Mom lives in Cordele, GA and she said between the lightning and wind it’s nerve wracking. It’s a good thing that school down there cancelled for today.
I live about 50 miles east of Cordele and there's been sporadic power outages and scattered down trees just from the wind/storms last night. The atmospheric conditions outside almost make one think that a tropical storm was coming through the area.

Wedge held strong! 49.4 and rain. Light winds.

My temp is dropping at the house. Dropped 3 degrees in an hour. Not sure why...checking latest HRRR for reasons. Down to 50 now under heavy rain. The best I can tell is that the mesocyclone that drove through (that possibly had a tornado) brought a heavy down burst of colder temps aloft and also brought the winds around from the northwest sooner than otherwise would have happened. I may have reached my high for today of 52.7, though I bet we bounce up a bit once the rain slacks off and before the cold air moves in.
You're right.. I went from 50 to 48. As far as that tornado, it was fake news...lol I stayed in my bed when I heard it and saw 50 degrees. I am near airport. Lol

I live about 50 miles east of Cordele and there's been sporadic power outages and scattered down trees just from the wind/storms last night. The atmospheric conditions outside almost make one think that a tropical storm was coming through the area.
She said it was very much like Hurricane Michael vibes to her.

Back