• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 27-28 Snow Potential Official Thread

Brick it's 42 and raining, transition line nowhere in site yet, you are going to get 4 hrs snow if you're lucky and will lose the first to melting....no way those GFS totals verify. I'll do naked snow dive if I get 6" tonight.

To be fair models didn't have his area changing until 2 or so. Brick should know by then if its DOA.

Brick it's 42 and raining, transition line nowhere in site yet, you are going to get 4 hrs snow if you're lucky and will lose the first to melting....no way those GFS totals verify. I'll do naked snow dive if I get 6" tonight.

Don’t agitate the little fella. I’m nearing an inch of QPF with nothing to show. Actually, you’re still sitting pretty. :)

Can I get you to commit to the naked snow dive as well? I’ll totally join in here in east wake . I mean honestly I was going to do it without y’all’s encouragement anyways . Something about the rush of the intense cold hitting your naked body just feels refreshing .

We'll see.

Little bit of bright banding showing up north of Raleigh.
9cb229b9b7474d79b801969d9818aaa8.gif

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

Can I get you to commit to the naked snow dive as well? I’ll totally join in here in east wake . I mean honestly I was going to do it without y’all’s encouragement anyways . Something about the rush of the intense cold hitting your naked body just feels refreshing .
That's a negative ghost rider. I don't think there's much danger in the GFS maps verifying anyway. ?

After a brief pause at 40.5, the temp has resumed falling. 39.9/39.4 with .36 in the bucket. I'm trying to decide if I want to go outside and turn on the flood lights or just go to bed.

Yep this bright banding doesn't really surprise me- correlation coefficient has shown melting slowly approaching for the past hour. Here's a screenshot I took about 30 min ago. It's progressed since then.
IMG_4131.PNG

This is actually pretty consistent with what most mesoscale models show happening IMO- currently we're seeing a big surge in low level cold air advection as the coastal low begins to develop, but the surface is a good 10 degrees warmer than 850mb (before any precipitation). It's gonna take a bit more (i.e. melting) to drive surface temperatures down. I think this is totally on track to see a pretty rapid changeover across the Triangle between 6-7z (1-2am), which is what the HRRR and NAM have both been consistently selling all afternoon.

Back