• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

The Upstate SC boys should like the NAM lol
About to hear "I told you so"...lol
I honestly hope somebody in SC sees something. Other than Florida we have been the only se state modeled out of this one.

Pivotal has me as rain on the 3km NAM precip maps at hour 15, but this is probably a heavy wet snow sounding.

nam4km_2022010218_015_33.68--83.95.png

It’s an elevated bridge which cools very quickly given there is cold air both on top of and underneath the bridge. You better believe the fact that it was 75 yesterday will keep roadways relatively more clear than they would be if it was 25 yesterday, though. That’s not saying it can’t stick, I’m just saying it will be harder and it will melt quicker. The NWS talks about this in their forecast discussions.
I agree. But too many people on here go to the extreme on this topic. I was just pointing it out. We’d all love to have frozen ground for it to fall on but anyone that has lived here long knows that rarely happens and we can get good snows behind torches.

Same thing for people in va and Nc, but you gotta remember how warm its been. Going to be tough to overcome
People have to understand just how much more thermal capacity the soil has compared to the air. Our soil almost never freezes. In the vast majority of our snows the ground never freezes. The bottom 1/2 or so of snow (true to its properties) act as a cap to the heat. But when you add in these 6 -1 ratios you're talking a significant amount more water than air in the snow which will absorb the heat being released vs insulate. If anyone is modeled under 2" I'd be shocked if it even accumulated on mulch beds.

What are you talking about ? You responded to a post about snowfall time not amounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I’m saying is that models are showing 6”+ totals in north Alabama…so if you believe any 1 spot will see a max of 3 hours of snow, based on model output, so you also believe the same model output that says in those hours, we will see 6” of snowfall?

Rockingham,Ashe, Alleghany, Watauga counties. Should be the top 4 lollipop winners. We will see. Definitely 6+ in one of those 4 counties.
throw in Caswell too. I think now a 30 mile shift would be a gamechanger for everybody north of 40/85. We've been shifting south all day.

Back