• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Seeing widespread reports of 12” in Fredericksburg, we are about 15 miles SW and eyeballing 14” in the fields. Remembered the shovel, forgot the ruler. :-(. Truck is dug out and fixing to leave in a couple hours, not taking 95 though until just north of Richmond, it’s a wreck.

E12D9725-E2E5-4AFE-9E9B-8FE50F403B4C.png

I feel like the rain/snow line used to be 95 and we were on the good side usually, but the past 4-5 years it sure seems like it’s been downtown Raleigh thats the dividing line and we’re just slightly on the wrong side of it every time.
That dividing line used to be at just south of Fuquay Varina but as you stated for about the past five years or so the dividing line has shifted north. I did end up seeing a rain/snow mix turn into around thirty minutes of snow before ending. It is frustrating for snow lovers to see the changes that are taking place in local climatology in our neck of the woods.

I saw thunder snow coming up 226 at Little Switzerland. Wind was blowing hard couldn't see the road had to stop at Wal-Mart in grassy creek for a bit. There was about 4 inches on the parkway with about 3 on the road. I'll post pics when I get home. Hope u guys down east saw some flakes.

Good to hear some folks got some good accumulation, at least for a bit. No live obs from me today. Had to drive from Wilmington area back to Raleigh.

Biggest obs for me was the winds. 40 east of 95 is usually a pretty laid back (almost boring) drive, but today the gusts were howling and I was constantly fighting the steering wheel, especially over bridges. Saw a couple high profile vehicles swerve pretty close to the median.

I peaked at the this thread before leaving, with high hopes to see some heavy white stuff in the Triangle just before it ended. Love driving through a changeover, and was hoping to see one of those where you go from a dreary slop to a white pasting within a few miles. Anyway I didn't see majority frozen until 540, right about the time I saw blue in the distance. 5 minutes later, it was flurrying with the sun out.

Here's my 'snow' pic...
540snowlol.jpg
NOT the changeover I wanted. You can't see it but there were flurries falling with full sun out. Or at least they were for a few seconds before probably melting from sun rays. Or maybe I hallucinated it? ?‍♂️

Anyway, I glad some of you in the triangle posted some obs/pics of white stuff, cause it sure isn't around anymore.

2FE2B92C-8F90-4DFD-8E7F-E367BF1A1C75.jpeg23172084-3111-4740-B6A9-E421BB0DF8B6.jpeg9BA08030-E80D-4D48-9F29-5D6B57B00B70.jpegAs far as for my area it was quiet incredible the difference in just a few miles up into bluff park. My house apparently sits down in a little hole because we only had a light dusting this morning in areas.

The majority of bluff park looked like a winter wonderland with the trees and what looked like an inch or inch and a half in many spots. These are the pics from bluff park. Obviously the warmer ground hurt me, but I also mixed with sleet for the majority of the first hour and totally whiffed on the second band. I needed high intensity to even get the dusting I received during the peak of the event.

Back