• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Ended up with 2 inches here. Although I’m sure warm ground temps played a little part the biggest issue my area had was actually getting to freezing. Majority of the event was above freezing until about the last hour of snowfall and by then the best rates were gone. I saw lots of reports further south of 4-8 inches so ground temps were easily overcome with heavier rates and temps below freezing during the heaviest snowfall. My personal opinion is ground temps can play a part but are overrated when the snow is heavy enough and 2 meter temps are below freezing. Congrats to everyone who scored big amounts that didn’t get in on the action last year!
I largely agree there. Unfortunately, warm ground temps AND above freezing surface temps are a real killer, and it seems like we never get below freezing snow anymore, so it’s a big issue lol.

Congrats to everyone who saw at the very least some flurries. I do not believe my area saw anything, but I was sleeping through the worst of it.

@ForsythSnow what did you end up getting?
I live on the Cherokee/Forsyth line and there was only a tiny amount of slush on the cars when I woke up this morning. We were always right on the line according the models so it makes sense.

Congrats to everyone who saw at the very least some flurries. I do not believe my area saw anything, but I was sleeping through the worst of it.

@ForsythSnow what did you end up getting?
Sleet, 5 mins of flakes, then it went to rain snow mix at the back end. Most I had was a very slight slush on cars and elevated surfaces. The real story was the winds, as those were some of the most intense winds in a storm since tropical storms that have passed through here.

The sun is out and the snow show is over here 10 miles north of Greensboro. This was an overperformer but not compared to what the models were singing. Rather, it was an overperformer compared to RAH and local mets’ expectations.

A solid six hours of heavy, large flakes. In more ideal ground conditions, I could have easily ended up with 6” to 8”. But I’ll take my couple of inches of snow and be thankful for it.

Congrats to all that saw snow today and last night. Wet snow can make for a picturesque landscape, and I really would like to be able to experience that again at some point.

I wonder if there was some snow to wrap things up in NW GA where I have some family...didn't feel as if there was going to be, but maybe there was. What I said in Whamby yesterday still stands though...a random trip to NE GA would've been fun.

The wind earlier today when I had just woken up was absolutely crazy.

I feel like the rain/snow line used to be 95 and we were on the good side usually, but the past 4-5 years it sure seems like it’s been downtown Raleigh thats the dividing line and we’re just slightly on the wrong side of it every time.

It's funny that you say this. I've thought the same thing lately. When we used to get winter storms around here when I was younger, I remember Greg Fishel saying about 95% of the time that the rain/snow line was going to be I95. The last few years I have been watching cold rain/frozen slop fall while snow piles up from Raleigh North and West.

Edit: The Johnston/Wake line is just the pits when it comes to snowfall.

Last edited:
Glad for all of you who saw snow. Fell asleep waiting on it to get here and missed seeing the flakes fly.

In Jasper, GA, where I am, light dusting on roofs and cars. Drove to Tate … little more snow. Drove towards Big Canoe. Not much there at entrance. However up in elevation on Mt. Oglethorpe was a little heavier dusting to maybe 2 inches from where I drove. Very pretty to look at. Dahlonega very little from what I heard.

Interesting to see the haves and have nots. Very scattered on my drive earlier today.

Hoping we all can cash in later … just shows you how quickly the weather can change. And why the study of it is very cool!

Back