• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 2-4 2022 Winter Weather Event/Obs

Just got back from Hillsborough to my place. Here we just have a variable dusting on some surfaces, but areas that are sun facing are just wet. The sun is doing its work, horrible timing with this one here. Unfortunately, my apartment complex is on a southern facing slope, so I’ve got basically nothing here; depressing. Also, I think rain is mixing back in and the sun is peeking through. I think I might truly live in hell. Thank God I drove up to Hillsborough to see actual winter.

I think my area is in a relatively low elevation relative to other areas nearby, and in super marginal events like this and some other recent events that makes a difference. I need to move!

Continues to really come down. I've got anywhere from an inch to nothing at all. No problems with the roads; but I do worry about tomorrow morning. With all the rain overnight and the snow now, we may be dealing with black ice. Really depends on how much the roads dry this afternoon.

Ended up with 2 inches here. Although I’m sure warm ground temps played a little part the biggest issue my area had was actually getting to freezing. Majority of the event was above freezing until about the last hour of snowfall and by then the best rates were gone. I saw lots of reports further south of 4-8 inches so ground temps were easily overcome with heavier rates and temps below freezing during the heaviest snowfall. My personal opinion is ground temps can play a part but are overrated when the snow is heavy enough and 2 meter temps are below freezing. Congrats to everyone who scored big amounts that didn’t get in on the action last year!

Back