• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Looks like the Canadian may have been further South with the track then even the GFS which led to higher totals in SC. Busy with server stuff so can't compare to GFS right now if anyone can verify?
I just took a quick look, it's slightly further south and the 850s are colder. Overall though, it's basically the same as the 0z GFS, at least at the surface.

Few things to remember. Models underestimate normal CAD events, this is shaping to be a super CAD with temps at the surface in the mid 20’s and the column running from the mid to upper 20’s. These more amped runs are actually going to be favorable. With the potential of that much cold air we need a strong ULL and surface low because I’ll bet my house that you’re not going to see a major north trend IF we keep the TPV look we have now. This has everyone south of 40 getting hammered in the western sections of the state.

I just took a quick look, it's slightly further south and the 850s are colder. Overall though, it's basically the same as the 0z GFS, at least at the surface.

Yeah. What happened was that the good trends out SW were off set by the trends to the NE with the 50/50 low positioning further SE over Novo Scotia. This drives our system further to the South so heights build over the low instead of ahead of it. It keeps the northern branch energy over Central Canada and the Great Lakes, because it's being blocked to it's SE, and kept separated from our bowling bowl low.

Back