• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin' January

I expect January to be awesome month for cold/snow lovers. A significant influence on the pattern as we progress in January is the effect the sudden stratospheric warming event (currently in the initial stages) will have on the jet stream, polar vortex, artic oscillation, blocking, etc. With that said here's some maps from tonight's 0z GFS, showing 10mb temps @ 48 hours ago, initialization, and 48 hours from now. The fuse has been lit fellas, :)

gfs_Tz10_nhem_1.png

gfs_Tz10_nhem_1.png

gfs_Tz10_nhem_5.png

Something trying to come together for @Brent on day9/10 on the euro. View attachment 9374

guess thats the next timeframe to expect a cold rain :p

lol at the snow map, same areas get snow again and nada here

watching Wednesday for severe weather, it'll be 3 years to the date since there was a killer tornado 10 miles away :eek:

Last edited:
I expect January to be awesome month for cold/snow lovers. A significant influence on the pattern as we progress in January is the effect the sudden stratospheric warming event (currently in the initial stages) will have on the jet stream, polar vortex, artic oscillation, blocking, etc. With that said here's some maps from tonight's 0z GFS, showing 10mb temps @ 48 hours ago, initialization, and 48 hours from now. The fuse has been lit fellas, :)

gfs_Tz10_nhem_1.png

gfs_Tz10_nhem_1.png

gfs_Tz10_nhem_5.png
Now that is a mega block

I’d almost pay to keep this look for two weeks
3b0aae6f83e592d2d66466d399f29875.png

Yeah, a beautiful +PNA/-NAO combo. All that’s really missing for near perfection is a -AO as it looks pretty neutral to me on the EPS/GEFS. But at least it isn’t a +AO and we’ve got the upcoming SSW that may take care of that. A borderline weak/moderate west based El Niño in the background, a
+PNA/-NAO, the strongest SSW in 10 years in about a week (hopefully gets us return of -AO), and the MJO progged to get to the favorable weak left side of the circle by mid Jan., the time of the coldest normals of the winter. What could be more promising than this? It still may not produce a big SE winter storm because they’re never easy to get but with the wx index slot machine at least appearing headed toward a 7-7-7-7-7, SE wx weenies at least have to like their chances. And at least the cold should dominate for quite awhile once it returns.

Back