• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Here you can see how the euro goes bonkers with adiabatic cooling at 850mb from the SE flow lifting over the surface wedge/mountains... That's all thanks to a robust shortwave going neutral tilt over the MS river. On the other hand, the gfs has a faster/weaker/flatter wave and keeps winds out of the SW at 850mb as the storm passes over so no cooling at 850mb.Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 9.17.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-26 at 9.18.13 AM.png

That would solve the remaining tree removal problems at my house the hard way! I still have a couple of pine trees that could go. Hopefully between now and then the models will trend colder and this will turn into the snowstorm many of us have been waiting for. I'm sure the models will change between now and then. By the way, one of the local meteorologists mentioned that the weather might get interesting towards the end of the seven day forecast period. Now I see what she was referring to.

Here you can see how the euro goes bonkers with adiabatic cooling at 850mb from the SE flow lifting over the surface wedge/mountains... That's all thanks to a robust shortwave going neutral tilt over the MS river. On the other hand, the gfs has a faster/weaker/flatter wave and keeps winds out of the SW at 850mb as the storm passes over so no cooling at 850mb.View attachment 131370View attachment 131371
Another good look is even with the Euro, you're likely not going to drive any surface LP into that strong of a HP in that position with that much cold air available. More than likely it would've been colder at least at the surface, potentially in the mid-levels if you shift that surface low further Southeast, which likely would be the case if this look held true.

Yeah icon has some disruptive energy around the Midwest that messes with any trailing feed of high pressure, and is rather progressive View attachment 131378
Yeah, what squirreled the whole run was losing the ridge along the Canadian coast around day 5.

icon_z500_mslp_namer_43.png

icon_z500_mslp_namer_43.png

26 this morning 10th low since 1/7 that has been 32 or below. Remember when there was concern we wouldn't get below freezing in January
25.3 this morning and 13th below freezing morning, I had 2 other mornings were 32.5 but didn't count those because didn't want to seem like I was piling on. Lol

Does anyone have MJO phase 3 ENSO negative 2-m air temp anomaly CONUS maps for January and February? Where do I access them. Please advise.

Back