• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

wikihow_man_pointing_mirror.jpg

i will NOT get excited over a 200hr euro control run
It's a regular maco light isn't it? The closer you get the further it seems to move away

Less than 10% of the EPS has legit snow in the Carolinas & GA from this system at day 9-10. Much more likely to be warm/wet w/ the storm shooting off to the NW, cold/dry w/ any hope of a storm well offshore to the SE, or icy if before you have a sniff at snow. If you manage to get the cold air in place before the precip ramps up, then I'd lean towards ice over snow. Oth, that's generally not what's being shown on the few ensemble member solutions that depict a winter storm at this range (the CAD high is well off to the west). Those kind of ice storm setups, where precip is already falling & cold air filters in as this occurs, can work over the southern Plains of TX & OK, but often bust (on the low end) east of the Appalachians.

As much as I don't like to post something like this so far out, I think the EPS control from today hammers home the point about how razor thin the margin of error is in this pattern to score a winter storm.

View attachment 131304
Really cold airmass. Filled with lots of promise. ?

As much as I don't like to post something like this so far out, I think the EPS control from today hammers home the point about how razor thin the margin of error is in this pattern to score a winter storm.

View attachment 131304
Is that I-85 or 0C? Lol. That’s textbook NC wintry look.

If you want something solid, key here is pinching energy off the cold and progressive northern stream trough, getting that pinched off energy to amplify around The SW/texas and close off, have the N/S trough speed up thanks to the GOAK energy giving the “kick”, and then have a trailing wave move in when the N/S trough is moving off and we’re left with the cold high associated with it. Very icy route but probably the best route you could take in this pattern. What’s more favored is stream attachment, and overrunning with possible wintry in western SE/warm eastern SE

Man this look is lovely; Incredible moisture feed with banana high present. I'd like to see that 1029 a tick higher with the precip feed 50-100 miles further south.

834beeae-987a-4f22-9a3a-b9be1794212b-png.131303

Unfortunately, despite the beautiful look, the cold is still marginal for many. This map is the cold push 12 hours later, still not cold enough for most south of I-40 and still not down to 85.
capture-jpg.131304

Verbatim this is an I-40 and North job with just small amounts elsewhere, illustrating what the above images portray.
ecmwf-ensemble-c00-conus-total_snow_10to1-5512000-png.131298

For AL/GA/SC we need that trough to sharpen up and dig a bit more with a stronger cold push. Going to be hard to manage but it is possible; definitely work keeping eyes on, but still a long way out.

Man this look is lovely; Incredible moisture feed with banana high present. I'd like to see that 1029 a tick higher with the precip feed 50-100 miles further south.

834beeae-987a-4f22-9a3a-b9be1794212b-png.131303

Unfortunately, despite the beautiful look, the cold is still marginal for many. This map is the cold push 12 hours later, still not cold enough for most south of I-40 and still not down to 85.
capture-jpg.131304

Verbatim this is an I-40 and North job with just small amounts elsewhere, illustrating what the above images portray.
ecmwf-ensemble-c00-conus-total_snow_10to1-5512000-png.131298

For AL/GA/SC we need that trough to sharpen up and dig a bit more with a stronger cold push. Going to be hard to manage but it is possible; definitely work keeping eyes on, but still a long way out.
That's because it was a huge Ice storm for everyone south of I40 on that control run. Temps in the mid 20's for most.

If you want something solid, key here is pinching energy off the cold and progressive northern stream trough, getting that pinched off energy to amplify around The SW/texas and close off, have the N/S trough speed up thanks to the GOAK energy giving the “kick”, and then have a trailing wave move in when the N/S trough is moving off and we’re left with the cold high associated with it. Very icy route but probably the best route you could take in this pattern. What’s more favored is stream attachment, and overrunning with possible wintry in western SE/warm eastern SE
It would have a chance of being epic, all else being equal, if could manage to get the Hudson Bay vortex to ease down to the south side rather than retreating north too.

View attachment 131304
That honestly reminds me of the temperature gradient during the February 1994 Ice Storm…below freezing for the western SE and then the CAD in western and central Carolinas with a sharp turn to very warm across southern GA and AL… parts of Florida was pushing 90 during that storm.

Back