• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Just an observation but check out how much cloud cover there is across the country; pretty dreary day for a lot of folks!

20230251926_GOES16-ABI-CONUS-GEOCOLOR-2500x1500.jpg

12z EC control run just nuked NC and VA with what I am assuming is severe freezing rain along the NC/SC border from say Forest City to Rockingham with what is likely 3-5” of snow with half a foot of probably sleet from Wilkesboro to Durham. 20” of snow for @ILMRoss in RIC.
pictures?

Regardless of all the commentary back and forth today about any upcoming winter weather, there certainly looks to be a short wave in the Feb 3rd-5th timeframe across the SE. More than fropa I think. Will it be snow, sleet, zr, or just plain cold rain? Who knows.

Man, a big 1045+ HP dropping into Iowa with some energy in and around the southern tier, what's not to like? Might not work out, but give me an arctic high nearby and some moisture nearby and I will take that every single day. Personally, I'm happy that we have something nice to look at and talk about other than see who can post the maps with the deepest oranges and reds.

12z EC control run just nuked NC and VA with what I am assuming is severe freezing rain along the NC/SC border from say Forest City to Rockingham with what is likely 3-5” of snow with half a foot of probably sleet from Wilkesboro to Durham. 20” of snow for @ILMRoss in RIC.
wikihow_man_pointing_mirror.jpg

i will NOT get excited over a 200hr euro control run

Alright, so we are at hour 216 when the below average temperatures begin to take over parts of the South & are working their way into the Carolinas and the rest of the Southeast.

Let's see if we can get this inside 200 then continue to work our way into the medium range. ecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-t2m_f_anom-5425600.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-t2m_f_dprog-5425600.png

Man, a big 1045+ HP dropping into Iowa with some energy in and around the southern tier, what's not to like? Might not work out, but give me an arctic high nearby and some moisture nearby and I will take that every single day. Personally, I'm happy that we have something nice to look at and talk about other than see who can post the maps with the deepest oranges and reds.
Roll the dice every day with that. I don’t care about the pattern before or after. Yes, it’s literally like trying to throw a bullseye dart from 100 yards in this pattern but I think it has legs for now.

Back