• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

Sanford ,Albermarle, Burlington all at or below freezing. Sanford 29/27 last check. Same here. Metros are upper 30s.

To get to upper 50s tommorow, must gonna be stout south winds. Rain should be here before sunrise per nws.

Yeah, this is an above-average confidence time frame. I'll just go with cool rain in honor of ground hog day.

gfs_z500a_us_37.png

gem_z500a_us_37.png

CMC looked better than the GFS .. overall though operationals sucked gunk … but they are operationals and the gfs looked extremely different than it’s 18z ensemble so we will see where 00z ensemble goes .. but it’s best to go to bed now before the damage gets worse for some of u to handle

GEFS think the operational is a bit aggressive with that ridging so that’s good but still this is a scenario where we need the SER for big time moisture but too much will give us rain and the Ohio valley jackpot winter weather. ??‍♂️ we march on to tomorrow 375C6121-6906-492E-A1B6-3E60860299E7.jpeg659E446F-9E49-4CEF-80DB-610ED24B0817.jpeg0C62DB29-C665-463A-AC47-7921260F2861.jpeg9B9105B6-68F6-47B1-A0E0-CB15110ACE26.jpeg

Last edited:
A 2 day transient cold shot that solidifies the positive NAO downstream, is the only real positive thing I see happening the next few weeks.

The difference between being cold/dry + warm/wet in a pattern like this is miniscule, which isn't good if you're hoping to get lucky & land a winter storm.

Transient cold shots can work, we have had a lot of +NAO winters so cold is usually transient. We always need great timing/luck. Odds are it won't snow but the chance is better when the modeled cold is this deep.

transient.gif

A 2 day transient cold shot that solidifies the positive NAO downstream, is the only real positive thing I see happening the next few weeks.

The difference between being cold/dry + warm/wet in a pattern like this is miniscule, which isn't good if you're hoping to get lucky & land a winter storm.

Do you still see an opportunity at the end of February into early March?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to say that’s a pretty decent cold signal showing up around the 3rd. Even when the ridge reestablishes at 500 mb, there would likely still be cold air trapped at the surface for a couple days. I agree with Webb that we likely don’t get a big time winter storm, but could certainly see a light to moderate ice event in CAD areas with moisture upglide from the ridge before the cold air gets scoured out.

Last edited:
Back